dopetalk does not endorse any advertised product nor does it accept any liability for it's use or misuse

This website has run out of funding so feel free to contribute if you can afford it (see footer)

Author Topic: Amazing coke paraphrenalia ads from the 70s  (Read 20936 times)

Offline makita (OP)

• Reputation Power: 26
  • makita is now quite familiar.makita is now quite familiar.
  • Last Login:March 07, 2019, 05:50:39 PM
Amazing coke paraphrenalia ads from the 70s
« on: September 17, 2015, 04:50:11 PM »
http://www.adweek.com/adfreak/these-shameless-cocaine-ads-prove-70s-were-hell-time-be-alive-166927

These Shameless Cocaine Ads Prove the '70s Were a Hell of a Time to Be Alive Need an ivory spoon? A gold razor? By David Griner

September 15, 2015, 10:30 AM EDT

Inspired by the hit Netflix series Narcos, about the exploits of Pablo Escobar, some fans decided to dig up some of the period's not-so-subtle ads for cocaine paraphernalia.

They posted their finds, clipped from drug magazines ranging from 1976 to 1981, to art and culture site The World's Best Ever. From there, the ads, some of which you can browse below, have quickly traveled the world, being featured by London-based magazine Don't Panic and in an Imgur gallery that was near the top of today's front page on Reddit.

While drug paraphernalia and merchandise ads have remained in circulation for decades, with marijuana-related items obviously being a hot industry today, it's fascinating to look back on the highly specific time when cocaine was king.

(In case you're wondering, drug paraphernalia ads are generally legal in the U.S., though some states such as Ohio and Nebraska do have specific ads outlawing them.)

You should definitely check out the full set at The World's Best Ever (http://www.theworldsbestever.com/2015/09/13/back-in-the-day-when-they-used-to-market-cocaine/), but here are a few of our favorites:

friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
something something drug war, social justice blah blah

Offline Taytoechip

• Above average blanket-fort builder
  • Reputation Power: 32
  • Taytoechip is working their way up.Taytoechip is working their way up.Taytoechip is working their way up.
  • Last Login:August 04, 2016, 02:16:36 PM
  • magical leopluradon
Re: Amazing coke paraphrenalia ads from the 70s
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2015, 05:25:02 PM »
The Hooter is the best thing i have ever seen
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No one ever plans to sleep out in the gutter
Sometimes that's just the most comfortable place

Offline Illadelph215

• Whiskey bent and hellbound
  • SA_Chat+
  • Reputation Power: 37
  • Illadelph215 is working their way up.Illadelph215 is working their way up.Illadelph215 is working their way up.
  • Last Login:June 28, 2022, 06:21:24 PM
  • Our Community
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2015, 05:32:35 PM »
This makes me wish I was in my prime during the 70s even more, 90s would be a close second though.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
There is no future, there is no past. In the present, nothing lasts.

Offline DeadCat

• Deceased
  • Reputation Power: 41
  • DeadCat is now getting very popular.DeadCat is now getting very popular.DeadCat is now getting very popular.DeadCat is now getting very popular.
  • Last Login:June 07, 2017, 04:01:37 PM
  • Welcome to our community forum ...
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2015, 08:35:30 PM »
This makes me wish I was in my prime during the 70s even more, 90s would be a close second though.

Iwas. Everything was very diffferent then.And cocaine accesories arent new. They were big around the end of the 1800's as well.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Illadelph215

• SA_Chat+
  • Illadelph215 is working their way up.Illadelph215 is working their way up.Illadelph215 is working their way up.
  • Our Community
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2015, 08:51:25 PM »
Boy do I envy you, what would you say some of the biggest differences are from then? Were you into the scene more then it now? Or the same?
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Zoops

• Filius non bonum de canis femina.
  • Deceased
  • Reputation Power: 58
  • Zoops has got loads of potential.Zoops has got loads of potential.Zoops has got loads of potential.Zoops has got loads of potential.Zoops has got loads of potential.
  • Last Login:September 29, 2017, 04:49:02 AM
  • Keeping the wolves at bay with a sharp stick.
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2015, 08:57:03 PM »
Wish I had me some of that (fake) coke in the pictures right about now. Need a lil pick-me-up.

And I agree, the "hooter" is undoubtedly the coolest thing since sliced bread.

Me, I just use a plain old piece of glass, a blade or plastic card, and a plastic straw for both my dope and coke. Well, a stem with some copper scouring pad inserted in one end for the coke.

And hey, is it pretty much common practice to inhale a few drops of water up the nose after doing a line of dope or coke or whatever? That was taught to me when I was just a baby, and it has always served me well.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2015, 08:58:53 PM by Zoops »
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"The future ain't what it used to be."
"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."
"You can observe a lot just by watching."
- Yogi Berra

"Drugs are so fucking good....that they'll ruin your life."
- Louis C.K.

Offline Illadelph215

• SA_Chat+
  • Our Community
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2015, 09:12:43 PM »
Never heard of the drops of water inhale after as I always thought water up the nose during a binge was detrimental to the process but then again pretty sure my nose is fuggeddd so maybe you learned a trick I'm not aware of?
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Faded

• Reputation Power: 3
  • Faded is new on the scene.
  • Last Login:November 28, 2023, 07:23:08 PM
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2015, 11:24:31 PM »
You can still buy those Hooter/Hoover snorters all over the web. Seen them for the past decade at least.

A quick google search and you can get one on amazon for 6 bucks shipped.

http://www.amazon.com/NASAL-VACUUM-SNIFFER-SNORTER-Silver/dp/B00MO2JXAK

Other places have different versions/styles too if you look around.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline DeadCat

• Deceased
  • DeadCat is now getting very popular.DeadCat is now getting very popular.DeadCat is now getting very popular.DeadCat is now getting very popular.
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2015, 12:06:44 AM »
Boy do I envy you, what would you say some of the biggest differences are from then? Were you into the scene more then it now? Or the same?

CRAP! I wrote a fairly long list of things that I think have changed and it vanished when I went to post it.

Here are a few I remember writing:

People of all ages were more hopeful about the future.

Viet Nam had made people aware that we can't win all wars, something we have unlearned since then even in the face of Bush's disasters in Iraq and Afgahnistan.

Ronald Reagan was a right-wing wacko who could NEVER ina miliion years become president. Not unlike Donal Trump. Although Trump was then as much of a buffoon as he is today and Spy magazine famously called him "A short-fingered vulgarian."

People believed (correctly) that not all problems can be solved by the "free market" many require government intervention and the use of tax dollars.

People were much more open to the idea of recreational drug use. The 60's college kids were inhereting the power structure and drug use was not shocking or so hated as it has become since then.

Cocaine in particular was romanitcized in popular culture. It was generally associatd with sex and eroticism and "Miami Vice" was the day's "Breaking Bad."

Unions were a real force and the main force behind the Democratic party until Reagan began vilifying and destroying them. We knew that that organized labor was not Communism and it had saved generations of working people from miserable lives as wage slaves. Together with the GI Bill they fucking CREATED the Middle Class that is now all but gone. We eventually took the standard of living they enabled for granted and lost it because we did.

"Businessmen" were often the criminals in the TV shows. Their crimes were often embezzeling from charities or their employees, bribing gvenement officials and cheating people. Now the criiminals are Arab terrorists, Drunk Drivers and sexual predators. Greed isn't as vilified now.

Recreational sex was available for everybody. Married people were having "key parties." One night-stands were no big deal. (i'm not saying EVERYBODY was screwing like rabbits on X but people were, in general, more openly liberal about sex.

Herpes was about THE WORST STD we could imagine and that was the beginning of the end of the good times. When AIDS came sexuality and IV drug use became scary, dangerous thngs for most people.

(Good Lord, do I miss friendly, guilt-free unprotected and boundry pushingsex with random women. And men were becoing much more aware  of the importance of satisfying their female partners.)

The ERA (Equal Rights Amendment) was a REAL thing and came close to being put up for a vote.

Many Gay people were way gayer. No offense ot our homosexual members, but the gay pride parades of the 70's were over the top; wildly, freely and proudly kinky-queer, feather boas and asses hanging out of leather chaps gay. AIDS decimated that entire sub-culture. For instance, most cities had things like bath houses while predomenantly gay, hetero ones existed too and AIDS shut those down big time.

Schools had "smoking areas: for students (over 16, I think) who had parental consent. Many of us got stoned before during and after school and most teachers turned a blind eye.

Pot was usually brown Mexican Brick weed and $40/oz. Coke was always powder (not crack, but "freebase" was gaining traction) and $100/g. I saw on Drugs Inc. it is now only $40/g in NYC.  Is that tue? I quit smoking grass when I was 19 after 5 years of almost everyday smoking becasue I would get paranoid and have "unwelcome introspection." I understand this is less true with the new strains.

After school we didn't have video games or so many organized activities and were outside fucking around and using our imaginations, dreaming big and doing shitloads of minor crimes like good juvinile delinquints.

Things like arts, theatre, music, and clubs, not just sports were offered in  school and as after school and evening activities and the school boards funded them because their value was understood.

Early '80's Madonna was fucking SEXY rolling around in a wedding dress/lingerie.

Getting a college education was not just fancy vocational training that put people in crushing debt but was designed to make you a critical thinking, enlightend person. In college we had to defend our positions and opinions with reason and facts, not just knuckle under to "politicaly correct" speech and self identification (You are a White Supremacist? Well, that's disgusting to me but I respect your right to be wrong and expect you to own and defend your position and will not banish you for it as long as your actions don't cross certain lines.)

Child molestation was probably worse and harder to prove, especially men like priests and scout leaders.We had a female student teacher who was definitely screwing male students and we kept our mouths shut and hoped to be next.

Cars polluted a lot more. Leaded gas made city living much less healthy. Coroners could tell how long people had been in LA before they died by sampling lung tissue for pollutants.

People weren't so afraid and suspicious of each other and we took more chances, not always for the better. I hitchiked thousands of miles and looking back at it now am amazed I wasn't abducted, raped or simply murdered. I did, however do so wearing a Buck "Special" sheath knife with a razor sharp pointed blade http://www.amazon.com/Buck-Knives-Special-Leather-Sheath/dp/B00TPNOUJA/ref=pd_sim_200_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=1SRFGEPKW3343GNFRWAN&dpID=31NQ9V55H4L&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_ and often traveled with a friend.

We had some wild experiences including getting picked up by girls, pot-smoking cops and a fair number of gay/bi men who took "No" for an answer, and nobody who didn't. The sheath knife on my belt probably gave my "No" more authority but cops never took it from me.

Those are some things I remember about being a teen in the 70's and a college student in the early to mid 80's. They are my opinions and I believe them to be true and not too colored by the haze of nostalgia.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2015, 11:50:28 PM by DeadCat »
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Zoops

• Filius non bonum de canis femina.
  • Deceased
  • Reputation Power: 58
  • Zoops has got loads of potential.Zoops has got loads of potential.Zoops has got loads of potential.Zoops has got loads of potential.Zoops has got loads of potential.
  • Last Login:September 29, 2017, 04:49:02 AM
  • Keeping the wolves at bay with a sharp stick.
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2015, 03:11:34 AM »

CRAP! I wrote a fairly long list of things that I think have changed and it vanished when I went to post it.

Here are a few I remember writing:

People of all ages were more hopeful about the future.

Viet Nam had made people aware that we can't win all wars, something we have unlearned since then even in the face of Bush's disasters in Iraq and Afgahnistan.

Ronald Reagan was a right-wing wacko who could NEVER ina miliion years become president. Not unlike Donal Trump. Although Trump was then as much of a buffoon as he is today and Spy magazine famously called him "A short-fingered vulgarian."

People believed (correctly) that not all problems can be solved by the "free market" many require government intervention and the use of tax dollars.

People were much more open to the idea of recreational drug use. The 60's college kids were inhereting the power structure and drug use was not shocking or so hated as it has become since then.

Cocaine in particular was romanitcized in popular culture. It was generally associatd with sex and eroticism and "Miami Vice" was the day's "Breaking Bad."

Unions were a real force and the main force behind the Democratic party until Reagan began vilifying and destroying them. We knew that that organized labor was not Communism and it had saved generations of working pole from miserable lives as wage slaves. Together with the GI Bill they fucking CREATED th eMiddle Calss that is now all but gone. We eventually took th estandard of living they enabled for granted and lost it because of that.

"Businessmen" were often crimnals in the TV shows. Their crimes were often embezzeling form charities or their employees, bribing gvenement officials and cheating people. Now the criiminals are Arab terrorists, Drunk Drivers sexual predators. Greed isn't as vilified.

Sex was recreational for everybody. Married people were having "key parties." One night-stands were no big deal.
Herpes was about THE WORST STD we could imagine and that was the beginning of the end of the good times. When AIDS came sexuality and IV drug use became scary, dangerous thngs for most people.

(Good Lord, do I miss friendly, guilt-free unprotected sex with random women.)

The ERA (Equal Rights Amendment) was a REAL thing and came close to being put up for a vote.

Many Gay people were way gayer. No offense, but the gay pride parades of the 70's were over the top wildly, freely and proudly kinky-queer, feather boas and asses hanging out of leather chaps gay. AIDS decimated that entire sub-culture. For instance, most cities had things like bath houses while predomenantly gay, hetero ones existed too and AIDS shit those down big time.

Schools had "smoking areas: for students (over 16, I think) who had parental consent. Many of us got stoned before during and after school and most teachers turned a blind eye.

Pot was usually brown Mexican Brick weed and $40/oz. Coke was always powder (not crack, but 'freebase was gaining traction) and $100/g. I saw on Drugs Inc it is now only $40 in NYC. Is that tue? I catually quit smoking grass when I was 19 after 5 years of almost everyday smoking becasue I would get paranoid and have "unwelcome introspection." I understand this is less true with the new strains.

After school we didn't have video games or so many organized activities and were outside fucking around and using our imaginations.

Things like arts, theatre, music, and clubs, not just sports were offered in  school and as after school and evening activities and the school boards funded them because their value was understood.

Madonna was fucking SEXY.

Getting a college education was not just fancy voctional training that put people in crushing debt but designed to make you a critical thinking, enlightend person. In college we had to defend our positions and opinions with reason and facts, not just knuckle under to "politicaly correct" speech and self identification (yeare a White Supremacist? Well, that's disgusting to me but I respect your right to be wrong and expect you to own and defend your position and will not banish you for it as long as your actions don't cross certain lines.

Child molestation was probably worse and harder to prove.

Cars polluted a lot more.

People wern't so afraid and we took more chances, not always for the better. I hitchiked thousands of miles and looking back at it now am amazed I wasn't abducted, raped or simply murdered. I did, however do so wearing a Buck General sheath knife with a razor sharp pointed blade. ( http://www.buckknives.com/product/120-general/0120FAM01/ ) and often traveled with a friend. We had some wild experiences including getting picked up by girls, pot-smoking cops and a fair number of gay/bi men who took "No" for an answer, and nobody who didn't. The sheath knife on my belt probably gave my "No" more authority. but cops never took it from me.

Those are some things I remeber about being a teen in the 70's and a college student in the early to mid 80's.

They still had "smoker's court" in HS in the late 80's. All the metalheads in their denim Iron Maiden and Motorhead jackets out there smokin.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"The future ain't what it used to be."
"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."
"You can observe a lot just by watching."
- Yogi Berra

"Drugs are so fucking good....that they'll ruin your life."
- Louis C.K.

Offline jdub

• SA_Chat+
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • jdub has hidden their reputation power
  • Last Login:April 25, 2018, 03:39:20 AM
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2015, 12:22:36 PM »

No way. The elephant tooter in the frost-ade kit ftw. I had a much less ornate version. The hooter is ok, but the wishbone shape that allows you to get powder up both nostrils at once is a game changer.

And just to touch on one of dc's points- one thing that drives me nuts about my generation is his greed and materialism have become virtues. People look at movies like Wolf of Wall st. And they admire that shit. It was a cool movie and I like drugs but fuck. All these college grads moving to SF wanna be the next mark fuckerberg. See also the rates of grads from top colleges getting into finance vs. medicine or even social work. Bums me out.

Also, DC, you mention 60's kids inheriting the power structure, but they're ceo's and politicians now and look where we are.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2015, 01:11:41 PM by jdub »
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Illadelph215

• SA_Chat+
  • Our Community
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2015, 12:48:06 PM »
Damn zoots your really did answer my question, very interesting! I'm in a union now and feel very lucky...also scared because idk how it has survived this long. It's a strong union but once the car unions in Detroit go so will ours and you always here rumors on that. Thanks for the read!
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline DeadCat

• Deceased
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2015, 11:32:42 PM »

No way. The elephant tooter in the frost-ade kit ftw. I had a much less ornate version. The hooter is ok, but the wishbone shape that allows you to get powder up both nostrils at once is a game changer.

And just to touch on one of dc's points- one thing that drives me nuts about my generation is his greed and materialism have become virtues. People look at movies like Wolf of Wall st. And they admire that shit. It was a cool movie and I like drugs but fuck. All these college grads moving to SF wanna be the next mark fuckerberg. See also the rates of grads from top colleges getting into finance vs. medicine or even social work. Bums me out.

Also, DC, you mention 60's kids inheriting the power structure, but they're ceo's and politicians now and look where we are.

Oh, definitely they sold out along the way, it was incremental.. That didn't really happen in full force until they really started making the big bucks and Reagan came along and told us we should all be rich and banks helped by giving everyone credit. I remeber when the original Wall Street with Charlie Sheen came out and it galmorzed finance while at the same time told the story of an ambitious young kid sellingout his father;s airline and it's union.

So as far as drug use was in the 70's it was cooler but then the Baby Boomers started having kids and found Jesus.; The sellout was gradual, but you are corect, it did happen.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2015, 12:00:59 AM by DeadCat »
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline DeadCat

• Deceased
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2015, 11:59:54 PM »
Damn zoots your really did answer my question, very interesting! I'm in a union now and feel very lucky...also scared because idk how it has survived this long. It's a strong union but once the car unions in Detroit go so will ours and you always here rumors on that. Thanks for the read!

Uhh..? You're welcome?
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Daughter of Dionysus

• HeAd Is The Shit Up In This Bitch
  • Reputation Power: 38
  • Daughter of Dionysus is working their way up.Daughter of Dionysus is working their way up.Daughter of Dionysus is working their way up.
  • Last Login:August 12, 2017, 11:25:29 AM
  • Don't Laugh, I'm Being Cool
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2015, 10:34:35 AM »
Looking at some of this
I just began wondering
If people like Escobar and George Jung
Had things like those
Especially things as extravagant
As the ivory paraphernalia

To own something like that
And be okay
With where it came from
You'd prolly have to
Jam allota coke up yer nose

Than again it was the 70s
FTW
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
We are all curious about
The things
That may harm us

-Federico Garcia Lorca

Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity!
- BulletTooth Tony

Tags: