dopetalk does not endorse any advertised product nor does it accept any liability for it's use or misuse

This website has run out of funding so feel free to contribute if you can afford it (see footer)

Author Topic: LGBTQ Drug Addiction: The Solution Doesn't Fit the Situation  (Read 11547 times)

Offline Chip (OP)

• Server Admin
  • Administrator
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • Chip has hidden their reputation power
  • Last Login:Yesterday at 05:53:23 PM
  • Deeply Confused Learner
  • Profession: IT Engineer
LGBTQ Drug Addiction: The Solution Doesn't Fit the Situation
« on: August 04, 2015, 01:05:01 PM »
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/raina-bowe/lgbtq-drug-addiction-the-_b_7926076.html

LGBTQ Drug Addiction: The Solution Doesn't Fit the Situation

I was talking to a friend the other day when she asked me a question: "Don't those bags of birdseed on your chest get scratchy?"

No, they don't -- unless they burst. Then it's not just my chest getting scratchy. (Gravity sucks.)

After that, however, she asked me another question: Is drug use higher among the gay population? A parent, she found herself concerned that her son being gay might mean he was more susceptible to getting involved in drugs. That made some sense to me.

People often get involved in self-destructive behavior; none of us make the right choice all the time. I eat too much red meat. Women -- and men -- wear high heels. Some LGBTQ people have even voted for Mike Huckabee.

Accepting that, I fully expected to find LGBTQ folks have higher rates of drug abuse. If any group of people were to be involved in a self-destructive choice, it would be a group of people whose behavior and birthright have been unfairly labeled everything from dumb to demonic. Being oppressed by the world is hard to take after a while.

I was right, sadly. Drug use in the LGBT community is about two to three times higher than the general population. I was also right about why: Coping with the everyday stress of social and personal prejudice is too much for some people.

As always, however, it's not that simple.

Within the health care system, there are attitudes that prevent LGBTQ addicts from seeking help. Makes sense: Are you going to feel safe talking to someone who may think you're going to hell just for existing? Sure, maybe in Massachusetts or California you're willing to take the risk. But in Alabama? Kansas?

Hippocratic oath aside, it's hard to imagine popping into a doctor or counselor's office in these more socially conservative places and feeling safe to bare one's soul. More, it's also a possibility that a non-enlightened health care provider will give "inappropriate or irrelevant service." So, even when you do actually talk to someone, they may stereotype you, and send on your way, one more of "those people." And while that may sound harsh, similar attitudes are known to pervade the medical care of all types of minority groups.

Finally, many LGBT individuals feel safest socializing in "gay-safe" spaces, like bars and clubs. Here, heavily marketed products like tobacco and alcohol are easy to find, enabling those prone to addiction. My experience suggests these are easy places to find illegal recreational drugs, too.

Well, that's cheery. No wonder my friend was worried.

At this point, let me say this column is not going into the perils of drug abuse. Not that they aren't relevant, but there are other venues to discuss that: anti-drug programs, Malibu Passages commercials on CNN and the life story of Lindsey Lohan.

I think the more important question is: What resources are there for the LGBTQ person who wants to get out of that world? On the surface this is simple: Just read that Passages Malibu book like all the straight people do.

If that sounds ridiculous, trust me, it is -- and it just gets worse.

First: while there are more than 450 LGBTQ-friendly hospitals across 47 states, most don't have an LGBTQ-friendly addiction program. That includes having LGBTQ sponsors in "Anonymous" programs, magazines in the waiting rooms that are specific to LGBTQ populations and Fox News not on the TV.

Second: Most LGBTQ-friendly hospitals are in larger cities. If you've been like me, and lived just to the left of nowhere, you have a problem. And it's getting worse: funding for drug treatment programs has been drastically cut.

Third, and the best part: Even if you manage to find an "LGBTQ friendly" drug treatment program, it may not matter. According to the website Addiction Professional, of the 854 agencies they contacted offering LGBTQ-specific services, only 62 actually had specialized services. Worse: They were all in California and New York. That's right, when it comes to LGBTQ addiction recovery, Miami is the sticks, too.

That survey was done nearly four years ago. But even now, when I Googled "specialized addiction treatment programs," it eventually led me to a constantly changing toll free number for things like wheelchair repair and a Mexican bar in Houston. (Really.)

In the end, this takes us right back to where we started: What resources are there for the LGBTQ person who wants to deal with their drug addiction? (Assuming you don't have the means to get on a plane and drop out of your life for a few weeks.)

As always, the "Anonymous" programs do offer hope. Google them along with your city name and "LGBTQ" to see if there are chapters nearby that can help. If there's not, Alcoholics Anonymous at least has a printable pamphlet. Other groups may have similar resources online. No, that's not even close to the same thing, but it's a start.

As an educator, I'll always recommend to younger people that if there's a teacher you trust, speak to them. Ideally, if they're a guidance counselor, that helps. But I think it's more important that they be supportive and understanding of LGBTQ issues than the degree they have hanging on the wall.

Well, that was a bummer of a column; it's hard to be funny when you're depressed. Still, I'd like to think things are going to get better. With society's increasing acceptance of LGBTQ people, hopefully, people like ourselves won't be as inclined to get involved in self-destructive behaviors. Also, as open LGBTQ people become more integrated into mainstream society, I'd like to think awareness of their issues will, too.

Will just that eliminate the problem of substance abuse in the LGBTQ community? Of course not, but if the incidence of drug abuse among our population could drop to that of the general population, that would save a lot of lives. Even in Kansas and Alabama.

[end]
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Our Discord Server invitation link is https://discord.gg/jB2qmRrxyD

Queenofdenial

Re: LGBTQ Drug Addiction: The Solution Doesn't Fit the Situation
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2015, 04:33:04 AM »
I have to say...so far, here in the bigger cities in NM--Santa Fe, Albuquerque, Las Cruces and Taos, the treatment facilities are VERY gay friendly.

Now, I have no idea what they are like in the smaller towns.

Also, every counselor I have been to(and nurse practitioner) tells me I "need to smoke more Cannabis!" And they are totally serious. I do have a MMJ card (PTSD), and a license to grow. But I only smoke maybe once a month.

However, I love being able to organically grow my own and be able to help other people that suffer from all sorts of illness's. Or just want to feel better. ;)

Okay. Off track again. Sorry Chipper. :(

love and hugs to all,
                                     ~QoD
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Narkotikon

• Honest
  • SA_Chat+
  • Reputation Power: 50
  • Narkotikon has got loads of potential.Narkotikon has got loads of potential.Narkotikon has got loads of potential.Narkotikon has got loads of potential.Narkotikon has got loads of potential.
  • Last Login:March 28, 2016, 11:31:11 PM
  • Keeping Them Honest
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2015, 12:39:40 PM »
It's a good article and a great first step, but still only a step. 

There are still plenty of homophobic bigots out there.  Until being LGBTQ is just as normal as being straight, I don't see things being altogether equal.

There are also other reasons why a LGBTQ may use: they could be in the closet and uncomfortable b/c of it; they could be newly out and use to feel comfortable in their new community; they could be LGBTQ and depressed or have another mental illness and therefore self-medicating; they could simply be self-loathers.  Lots of reasons.

Whatever the case, there does seem to be a higher incidence of substance abuse in the LGBTQ community. 
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Transparency is necessary to ensure decent staff members get elected. Members need to know when staff are misbehaving, so members can be informed voters.

Offline Chip (OP)

• Server Admin
  • Administrator
  • Chip has hidden their reputation power
  • Last Login:Yesterday at 05:53:23 PM
  • Deeply Confused Learner
  • Profession: IT Engineer
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2015, 10:33:19 PM »
as a straight guy, i come across lots of homophobes.

when the Sydney Mardi Gras is on, you'd be surprised how many heartless buggers say "well, we don't celebrate being straight so why should they celebrate their sexuality ?"

which is an absurd argument. i love my gay buddies and will fight for them to my death.

friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Our Discord Server invitation link is https://discord.gg/jB2qmRrxyD

Offline Narkotikon

• Honest
  • SA_Chat+
  • Narkotikon has got loads of potential.Narkotikon has got loads of potential.Narkotikon has got loads of potential.Narkotikon has got loads of potential.Narkotikon has got loads of potential.
  • Keeping Them Honest
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2015, 12:25:21 AM »

when the Sydney Mardi Gras is on, you'd be surprised how many heartless buggers say "well, we don't celebrate being straight so why should they celebrate their sexuality ?"

I think people who say things like that either aren't thinking, or aren't very empathetic to other human beings. 

Obviously straight culture isn't celebrated b/c it's a given for most people.  People don't go around wondering if other people are straight.  It's the default, normal assumption. 

Being gay is different simply b/c it's not considered normal.

Not a giant leap to figure that out if these types of people would simply turn on / use their brains. 

Glad you're so active in supporting your friends Chipper. 
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Transparency is necessary to ensure decent staff members get elected. Members need to know when staff are misbehaving, so members can be informed voters.

Offline St. Theresa

• St. Theresa has hidden their reputation power
  • Last Login:April 06, 2018, 09:37:13 PM
  • Welcome to our community forum ...
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2015, 03:06:57 AM »
Those kind of responses or comments are purely made out of contempt in my eyes. It's like a tit for tat childish argument.

Being gay is not the same as being straight and having the built in privilege of normal rights we take for granted.

There has been a lot of progress and that is great, but I agree With you guys, there are steps towards equality but it's not quite leveled out yet.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
I'll show you politics in America. Here it is, right here. "I think the puppet on the right shares my beliefs."
"I think the puppet on the left is more to my liking."
"Hey, wait a minute, there's one guy holding out both puppets!"
"Shut up! Go back to bed, America. Your government is in control."-BH

Offline makita

• Reputation Power: 26
  • makita is now quite familiar.makita is now quite familiar.
  • Last Login:March 07, 2019, 05:50:39 PM
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2015, 03:33:16 AM »
It's like those "All Lives Matter" douchebags.  Straight/white/cis/men/(fill in privileged group) just can't abide a conversation that isn't about THEM for a second. 
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
something something drug war, social justice blah blah

Offline St. Theresa

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2015, 05:10:46 AM »
^^^i know right? Lol "all lives matter"...duh. 
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
I'll show you politics in America. Here it is, right here. "I think the puppet on the right shares my beliefs."

Offline makita

• Reputation Power: 26
  • makita is now quite familiar.makita is now quite familiar.
  • Last Login:March 07, 2019, 05:50:39 PM
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2015, 01:07:55 AM »
Apparently a few weeks ago there was a "straight pride parade" in Seattle.  Dan Savage talked about it on his show--he's always advocated for there to be a parade where straight people celebrate their sexuality without it being a counterpoint or challenge to the gay parade...although mardi gras and halloween are usually kind of that anyway (people dress up, drink, dance around in the street and then go home and fuck.  But this specific "parade" was styled as a conservative, return to family values/lets show them queers event. 

150 people rsvpd on the facebook page, but it was literally only 2 people showed up to the event...and one of them was the founder. 
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
something something drug war, social justice blah blah

Offline St. Theresa

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2015, 01:12:49 AM »
Lmao^^^

Crazy ass honkeys
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Narkotikon

• Honest
  • SA_Chat+
  • Keeping Them Honest
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2015, 12:29:56 PM »
That makes me wonder what their conversation was.

Probably a dick-sucking bonanza where they're both advocating family values.

One of my problems with those types is that they usually advocate stereotypes for sex.  Men have to be masculine; women have to be feminine.  Not all men are masculine, nor are all women feminine.  And that goes for straight, gay, bi, lesbian, trans, whatever.  You can be a man and not be a lumberjack. 

I personally am repelled by stereotypical masculinity.  Never have liked it.  What's wrong with a guy being worried about fine lines around his eyes, using eye cream?  Or a woman wanting to do carpentry work? 
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Tags: