dopetalk does not endorse any advertised product nor does it accept any liability for it's use or misuse

This website has run out of funding so feel free to contribute if you can afford it (see footer)

Author Topic: View: Saving drug addicts should be priority for government, health care leaders  (Read 8995 times)

Offline Chip (OP)

• Server Admin
  • Administrator
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • Chip has hidden their reputation power
  • Last Login:Yesterday at 05:53:23 PM
  • Deeply Confused Learner
  • Profession: IT Engineer
http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865631986/Saving-drug-addicts-should-be-priority-for-government-health-care-leaders.html?pg=all

A personal view: Saving drug addicts should be priority for government, health care leaders

My wife and I lost our 33-year-old son to an overdose of heroin on May 12, 2015. Our son, Tennyson, had completed only 60 days of residence drug detoxification and recovery therapy and was released from the care facility at his own direction. Our son died in the bathroom of our home four days later. We found him slumped face down and tried desperately to revive him until paramedics arrived, but we failed. We watched the life of our beloved son slip away before our eyes.

As the Deseret News recently reported (“Utah ranks 5th for overdose deaths,” June 17), Utah’s number of drug overdose deaths is a fact that should awaken all of us to the magnitude of this killer epidemic. The attitudes of many in our society, and the focus of many of our laws, label addiction as “drug abuse.” Though perhaps unintentionally, this label often carries with it the unspoken assumption that addicts should be able to control their drug use with willpower but simply choose not to. Nothing could be further from the truth.

From my experience with an addicted adult son, I draw three conclusions:

1. Health care laws and regulations, both state and federal, fail to appropriately recognize drug addiction as a chronic illness. Too often, people suffering from this disease are released from care when the likelihood of relapse is entirely predictable and the danger the addict is exposed to is extreme. The nature of the disease often robs a person of the rationality that might make healing and survival possible. That was surely our experience with Tennyson.

2. Those closest to addicts — parents, partners and others who love them — may be ill-informed of the specifics of the disease and uneducated about the ways in which they might help. Our health care system as it currently stands seems designed to hinder those who want most to help and to isolate those who most need help. Information was withheld from us that may have saved our son’s life.

3. Our health care laws recognize that people in certain life-threatening circumstances, such as those following a severe accident, are not in a position to make medical decisions for themselves. In these situations, we expect medical professionals to exercise reasonable judgment and take the necessary steps to save lives. We expect they will reach out to families for guidance. An addict may at times be no more capable of making reasonable medical decisions than an unconscious accident victim. The choices our son made were clearly not rational.

No parent should ever have to go through the horror of finding a child — minor or adult — dying from an overdose. I am committed to finding compassionate Utah government and health care leaders who will examine the legal and regulatory framework of health care for addicts. Together, we can find and implement solutions that will help save the lives of people suffering from the terrible disease of drug addiction. I hope many of you will help me.

Dennis Cecchini is an architect and the CEO Emeritus of MHTN Architects in Salt Lake City.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Our Discord Server invitation link is https://discord.gg/jB2qmRrxyD

Offline michellebaines

• Reputation Power: 2
  • michellebaines is new on the scene.
  • Last Login:March 15, 2016, 08:59:19 PM
  • Kitty love & friends
Also, over-the-counter distribution of Narcan (like is happening in Baltimore) would save many lives. Or giving a script for it to opiate addicts leaving treatment.

But to most people and the U.S. government if you take opiates in any form, including for chronic pain, you deserve to die. End of story.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Lolleedee

• La Dee Da Dee Da!
  • SA_Chat+
  • Reputation Power: 21
  • Lolleedee is now quite familiar.Lolleedee is now quite familiar.
  • Last Login:May 04, 2021, 04:52:15 PM
I totally agree with the over-the-counter Narcan.  It should be available to anyoneone who wants/needs it.  I also belive, though this opinion isn' that popular, that most addicts should receive some sort of medication assisted treatment (suboxone, methadone or hopefully one day heroin) while they are in patient and should be incouraged to stay on it when they leave the facility.

It is well known that addicts are most likely to overdose after a period of abstinence...especially if they were strong-armed into treatment.  We all know that very, very few addicts are able to stay clean for any meaningful lengtth of time utilizing an abstinence only model.

It would be awesome if there were some better choices in maintenence medications.  I guess that will take a bit of time.  First we need to educated the general public that medication assisted treatment is the best treatment we have for opioid addiction at the moment.  It has a proven track record for reducing harm and rebuilding lives.  Until we get the powerful people to believe in MAT, I doubt any funds will be made available to find better, more tolerable medications.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2015, 12:55:37 AM by Lolleedee »
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
...Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, For you are crunchy and good with ketchup...

Offline nick

• Founder
  • Founders
  • Administrator
  • nick has hidden their reputation power
  • Last Login:July 22, 2019, 05:49:59 AM
Kinda depends on how you define "saving" really. I have a strange feeling their idea of saving addicts and mine are two very different beasts.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Lolleedee

• La Dee Da Dee Da!
  • SA_Chat+
  • Reputation Power: 21
  • Lolleedee is now quite familiar.Lolleedee is now quite familiar.
  • Last Login:May 04, 2021, 04:52:15 PM
Kinda depends on how you define "saving" really. I have a strange feeling their idea of saving addicts and mine are two very different beasts.

A very wise reply, Nick!!! 
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
...Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, For you are crunchy and good with ketchup...

Offline Chip (OP)

• Server Admin
  • Administrator
  • Chip has hidden their reputation power
  • Last Login:Yesterday at 05:53:23 PM
  • Deeply Confused Learner
  • Profession: IT Engineer
how did Nick get SO cynical,  ::) ::) i often wonder ... ??
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions