dopetalk does not endorse any advertised product nor does it accept any liability for it's use or misuse

This website has run out of funding so feel free to contribute if you can afford it (see footer)

Author Topic: AUS Prices  (Read 10232 times)

Offline Chip (OP)

• Server Admin
  • Administrator
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • Chip has hidden their reputation power
  • Last Login:Yesterday at 05:53:23 PM
  • Deeply Confused Learner
  • Profession: IT Engineer
AUS Prices
« on: June 07, 2015, 08:55:54 AM »
I am quite sure that we pay some of the highest prices for tobacco products in the western world and because it's taxed of offset the price of treatment for cancers in our mainly free health care system, it's hard to genuinely complain.

I have also found that the cheapest price for a pouch of rolling tobacco comes in at $AUD 17 per 25 g, with premium blends coming in at over $30 per 30 g.

A packet of some of the cheapest (brand: JPS) packet of 26 cigarettes will cost around $17, also BUT there are "under the counter" packets available for $10 for a packet of 20.

Premium prices can be above $25, as available at highly priced petrol stations and late-nite "Convenience" stores.

I would be interested to see what the prices are that are charged in other countries.

« Last Edit: June 07, 2015, 11:55:40 AM by Chipper »
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Our Discord Server invitation link is https://discord.gg/jB2qmRrxyD

Offline Roxstar

• Health Admin - Emergency Services Liaison
  • Reputation Power: 2
  • Roxstar is new on the scene.
  • Last Login:July 27, 2019, 10:57:49 AM
  • Be safe. Ask questions. Educate yourself.
Re: AUS Prices
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2015, 10:42:22 AM »
I guess I've been "lucky" to not be a user of tobacco or nicotine products.  It's actually pretty rare as I can't think of many drug users that didn't smoke cigarettes.  I first tried cannabis at the age of 12 and was a daily smoker by the age of 15.  I never grew a liking to cigarettes or any other nicotine containing product.  However, I actually did pick up a habit of smoking cigarettes at the ripe age of 22.  I smoked about a half pack a day (10 cigs) for about 3 months before it was just irritating my throat.  I was clean of any "hard" drugs during that time.  I didn't have any problem putting them down.  I since smoked a cig once every 3 months or so.  I remember I had an unopened pack in my freezer for around 6 months before I gave it to a friend.  I haven't had a cigarette in over a year and a half I think.  It's not that I'm avoiding it but I just don't have any desire. 

As for the prices, they vary all over the U.S.  The state where I lived, when I smoked, had cigs for $5-$8.  It hasn't changed much since then.  I picked up the smoking habit because I went snowboarding one winter with 5 other people in the state of New York.  We all tried to stick together and all of them would take smoke breaks.  We had a lot of amphetamines (Adderall) with us and it just felt good to smoke a cigarette while boarding and being amped up. 

Anyway, New York has the most expensive cigs in the country.  At the time, they were ~$10 a pack.  They've since increased.  You can find the cheapest cigarettes in the southern states where they are produced like Tennessee and Virginia.  There's actually a market for untaxed cigarettes.  People will procure them in the southern states and sell them in the northern states.  This is obviously illegal and can easily be caught because each pack of cigs has it's respective state tax stamped onto it. 

Here's a link I found that was published a little less than a year ago on the prices of cigarettes in the United States. 

http://www.theawl.com/2014/08/how-much-a-pack-of-cigarettes-costs-state-by-state
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Güey

• SA_Chat+
  • Reputation Power: 8
  • Güey is new on the scene.
  • Last Login:April 01, 2019, 09:12:16 AM
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2015, 10:19:04 AM »
Yikes. I just paid 7.00USD for a pack of American Spirits and I was kinda butthurt. I'll revise that opinion :(
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
¡No mames!

Offline Chip (OP)

• Server Admin
  • Administrator
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • Chip has hidden their reputation power
  • Last Login:Yesterday at 05:53:23 PM
  • Deeply Confused Learner
  • Profession: IT Engineer
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2015, 07:04:46 PM »
what a gift !

still, i would prefer to see smokes on prescription, along with alcohol (one day) ... for if this were to happen then this would set the scene for permitting decriminalisation.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2015, 08:33:19 AM by Chipper »
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Our Discord Server invitation link is https://discord.gg/jB2qmRrxyD

Offline Zoops

• Filius non bonum de canis femina.
  • Deceased
  • Reputation Power: 58
  • Zoops has got loads of potential.Zoops has got loads of potential.Zoops has got loads of potential.Zoops has got loads of potential.Zoops has got loads of potential.
  • Last Login:September 29, 2017, 04:49:02 AM
  • Keeping the wolves at bay with a sharp stick.
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2015, 08:02:27 PM »
A pack of premium cigarettes is like $5.50-$6.20 in VA where I live. Just across the river in DC it's like $10 for premiums, $8.00 and change for cheap ones (Pall Mall, Maverick, and the like). Maryland has similar prices to DC for smokes.

A six pack of 16oz 8.1% ABV Steel Reserve goes for $5.29. It's $2.85 for a 40oz-er. Beer prices are ridiculous in the District and Maryland, though, like $12 for a six pack of some Budweiser.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"The future ain't what it used to be."
"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."
"You can observe a lot just by watching."
- Yogi Berra

"Drugs are so fucking good....that they'll ruin your life."
- Louis C.K.

Offline Narkotikon

• Honest
  • SA_Chat+
  • Reputation Power: 50
  • Narkotikon has got loads of potential.Narkotikon has got loads of potential.Narkotikon has got loads of potential.Narkotikon has got loads of potential.Narkotikon has got loads of potential.
  • Last Login:March 28, 2016, 11:31:11 PM
  • Keeping Them Honest
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2015, 12:10:57 PM »
I ran out of e-liquid on Saturday, the 4th, and couldn't get to the vape store b/c it was closed for the holiday.  I had to go out and buy two packs of cigs for the first time in about 4-5 months.

I prefer to smoke Camels, but b/c of obvious price differences I switched to Pall Mall reds about two years prior to when I stopped smoking. 

2 packs of Pall Mall reds were 10.56 here in OH.  Yes, the prices are slightly higher than in Southern states, but I think they're only minimally overpriced here b/c of the proximity to KY.  Cig prices in KY are much cheaper.

In fact, when I was smoking, I'd drive across the river to Covington or Newport, KY to buy cartons of cigs.  I'd only buy cigs in OH if I had to get a pack or two to make it until I could get to Northern KY to buy in quantity. 

Back in Sept 2013, the last time I bought any, a carton of Pall Mall reds was $35 something.  A couple years prior to that, they were only $22 in KY.  Back then, premiums like Camels were only $26 something per carton.

Back in 1999, when I was a sophomore in college and when I first started smoking, a single pack of Camels was only $2.24 at the gas station near the campus. 

Needless to say, I'm very glad I restocked on e-liquid.  In fact, b/c of a 4th of July weekend sale they had, I only spent $54 something on Sunday for an entire month's worth of nicotine.  4 30ml bottles (buy two get one free sale), and 5 replacement heads for the tank.  Plus, I had some $10 discounts.  Every time you spend so much, you get a ten dollar discount.  I bought my liquid in one transaction, and b/c of the sale and the discount, I paid 50 something bucks for the 4 30ml bottles.  That transaction got me another 10 dollar discount.  And when you buy 5 replacement heads, you get 10% off.  With that percentage off and the discount, I only paid $3 something for the 5 heads. 

Much cheaper to vape IMO. 
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Transparency is necessary to ensure decent staff members get elected. Members need to know when staff are misbehaving, so members can be informed voters.

Tags: