dopetalk does not endorse any advertised product nor does it accept any liability for it's use or misuse

This website has run out of funding so feel free to contribute if you can afford it (see footer)

Author Topic: IV Tips for Older Heads | Don't Bleed Out  (Read 1620 times)

andrew

IV Tips for Older Heads | Don't Bleed Out
« on: February 10, 2015, 05:08:10 PM »
i am almost at the end of my injecting life and it can take quite a few attempts to get a strike.

... so i end up bleeding a lot.

but with a little sticky tape and a small tear off of a tissue, i make bandaid-like blood stoppers so i can try another spot without bleeding out ...

more tips as they come to me (I'm 53 soon)
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline candy

• Founders
  • Administrator
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • candy has hidden their reputation power
  • Last Login:April 22, 2019, 03:23:09 PM
  • Welcome to our community forum ...
Re: IV Tips for Older Heads | Don't Bleed Out
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2015, 07:25:22 AM »
I thought I would add some tips for older users or those who have been using for quite some time:

The longer we inject, the increase in abuse our veins take.
How you inject and where you inject can make a great difference in how long your veins will last:

1. Use a new needle for every injection: I know this is not always possible, but if you can use a new needle each time, it will save your veins.

2. Always try to keep your process clean. Everyone has their own rituals and process of injecting, but keeping your equipment clean and washing your hands and the area you are going to inject into clean. Warm soapy water and alcohol wipes are essential. If you don't have alcohol wipes, a cotton ball and alcohol will do just as well.

3. Take care of missed shots as soon as possible. If you should miss, get a warm compress to the area and keep heat on it for at least 20 minutes. Do this about every 6 to 8 hours if possible to help reduce infection. A warm compress will help the tissues to absorb the missed shot and decrease your risk for skin infections(abscess). By using heat, you also increase circulation to the area and that brings cells that help fight off any bacteria that may be starting to form.

4. Always use a tourniquet. Unless you have ropes for veins, using a tourniquet can help you find veins much faster. If you have a local needle exchange, ask them for tourniquets. Most supply them, along with other goodies; alcohol wipes, sterile saline, cotton for filtering, and great information.

5. A hot shower can bring veins to the surface, especially first thing in the morning after you wake up. You can shower at any time to bring out veins or use a heating pad or hot compress. Just be careful how hot you set your heating pad, you don't want to burn yourself.
Exercise is another great way to bring out veins. Do some push-ups, run in place, go for a brisk walk, use some light weights and do some arm curls to help increase circulation.

6. Rotate. Rotate. Rotate. I can not say this enough. Using the same veins over and over can lead to scarring and it will make injecting into these areas a real nightmare, especially when sick.

7. Always start low and move up. Example: try the veins in your hands first, and if you should blow the vein, you can go above that site and try again.

8. Bruising: Steps to reduce the pain and encourage faster fading:

First, reduce blood flow to the area with ice and compression to minimize discoloration. Next, use heat to boost circulation and help clear away the pooled blood. At the same time, as long as the skin isn’t broken, a number of herbal ointments and compresses can help.

Apply ice as soon as possible: If you cool the blood vessels around the bruised area, less blood will leak out into the surrounding tissue.
Use a washcloth soaked in ice cold water and apply for 10 minutes, but wait at least 20 minutes before applying again so you don't harm the skin below.

Immediately wrap an elastic bandage around the bruised part. By squeezing the tissues underneath, the bandage helps prevent blood vessels from leaking.If you have an elastic bandage. If not, maybe time to get one. They are pretty cheap and can be found at most any drug store or pharmacy.

After cooling the bruise for 24 hours, start applying heat to bring more circulation to the area and help clear away the pooled blood.
Vinegar mixed with warm water will help the healing process. Vinegar increases blood flow near the skin’s surface, so it may help dissipate the blood that has pooled in the bruise area. Witch hazel will also do the trick.

Apply arnica ointment or gel to the bruise daily.

Gently rub St. John’s wort oil into the bruise. The oil has long been known to heal wounds. It’s rich in tannins, astringents that help shrink tissue and control capillary bleeding. For the best effect, start this treatment soon after the bruise occurs, and repeat it three times a day. Witch hazel works just as well.

Vitamin K cream. Your body needs vitamin K to help with blood clotting. Rub it into the bruise twice a day to prevent further bleeding.

Bromelain, an enzyme found in pineapples, actually “digests” proteins involved in causing inflammation and inducing pain.Take four doses the first day, then reduce your dosages to two or three pills daily as the bruise fades.

9. Arterial Shots: You will know when you hit an artery. You will notice bright red frothy appearing blood pumping into your syringe. Remove the needle slowly to avoid more damage and get compression on that site immediately. Keep pressure on the area for at least 15 minutes. If you notice the bleeding has not stopped, keep pressure on the area and get medical attention if the bleeding does not stop.  You may notice severe pain when you hit an artery. You may also notice a decrease in motor function and the skin may have a flushed or mottling appearance.
Keep the extremity above the heart and watch for increase in impaired function, change in color of the skin( increase in redness, black or dark green areas).
Please seek medical attention if there are no changes at the site of injection.
Important: Do not inject into an artery. You might as well flush your dope down the toilet. You likely will not feel a high at all. By not injecting into an artery, you also decrease your risk for infection and damage to the artery and surrounding tissues.

I know this is long, but I hope the information will help those who are new to injecting or those who need more information.
And pass along information to anyone you think might benefit from it!
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Harm Reduction...
Enables choices, possibilities, and opportunities without imposing change.

Offline Chip

• Server Admin
  • Administrator
  • Chip has hidden their reputation power
  • Last Login:Today at 11:22:15 AM
  • Deeply Confused Learner
  • Profession: IT Engineer
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2015, 08:52:34 AM »
Another sensational block of information.

sadly or not, I can't inject without so much drama, it's no longer any fun.

there comes a time when us oldies have to hang up our tools and explore other methods of administration.

you will know when you get there.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Our Discord Server invitation link is https://discord.gg/jB2qmRrxyD

Offline Seven

• Reputation Power: 3
  • Seven is new on the scene.
  • Last Login:December 31, 2015, 03:46:16 PM
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2015, 11:45:22 PM »
Just wanted to add that if a shot is missed and is not going away (looking like an abcess) that eating cloves of garlic really is amazing.  It works as well as some antibiotics.  No lie.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline nick

• Founder
  • Founders
  • Administrator
  • nick has hidden their reputation power
  • Last Login:July 22, 2019, 05:49:59 AM
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2015, 11:55:43 PM »
Yeah,I think it was Chops who mentioned eating cloves of garlic-anyway,trying it and it working has ended any doubts I had on the subject,but I would say,try garlic,but if there's no improvement,better get some medical help. 
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Seven

• Reputation Power: 3
  • Seven is new on the scene.
  • Last Login:December 31, 2015, 03:46:16 PM
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2015, 12:29:55 AM »
Yes it was Chops, and I in no way want anyone to place their health in their own hands when real medical help is needed.  But we all know how the real world works, and the garlic thing is an amazing tip. 

friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline makita

• Reputation Power: 26
  • makita is now quite familiar.makita is now quite familiar.
  • Last Login:March 07, 2019, 05:50:39 PM
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2015, 01:50:57 PM »
I really cannot emphasize the hot damp compress treatment for missed or questionable shots enough.  I went from having multiple abscesses all the time to having none, just by making it part of my routine to always do this after every shot no matter what.  Even (especially) when I was muscling 3 grams of dirty BTH into my shoulder each day with a 1.5" needle. 
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
something something drug war, social justice blah blah

Offline candy

• Founders
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2015, 10:19:35 AM »
Yes, warm compresses can really help to stave off an abscess.
It will increase circulation to the site and help your body absorb the fluid sitting in the tissues.
It also brings white blood cells to the site and that will help with any bacteria that may be building up.

Missed shots...Get a warm compress on that area ASAP.

Hey Makita...Hope you are doing good. Glad I gave up shooting BTH.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Harm Reduction...

Offline Thoms

• "Is a sex God"
  • SA_Chat+
  • Reputation Power: 24
  • Thoms is now quite familiar.Thoms is now quite familiar.
  • Last Login:May 27, 2018, 01:32:26 AM
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2015, 12:19:48 PM »
Not doubting anyone as im working on two misses close to each other atm that arent infected but what is it about the garlic that helps. When i get home imma eat one. Or five. If one is good eight is great right?
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Fear and self loathing in thoms.

Offline candy

• Founders
  • Administrator
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2015, 04:10:53 PM »
From what I know and have read, it is topical garlic that will help treat a skin infection.

There is no real evidence that suggests that garlic, taken orally will help treat an abscess or skin infection
Used as a topical agent, it is supposed to be an effective antiseptic, such as Bactine would work.

If it works for you great. It can't hurt you in anyway, so go for it.

Just do not apply it to the skin if you have an open wound.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Harm Reduction...

Tags: