dopetalk does not endorse any advertised product nor does it accept any liability for it's use or misuse

This website has run out of funding so feel free to contribute if you can afford it (see footer)

Author Topic: Get This ::: How Dolphins and Seals Sleep !  (Read 5368 times)

Offline Chip (OP)

• Server Admin
  • Administrator
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • Chip has hidden their reputation power
  • Last Login:Yesterday at 05:53:23 PM
  • Deeply Confused Learner
  • Profession: IT Engineer
Get This ::: How Dolphins and Seals Sleep !
« on: March 02, 2019, 10:04:15 AM »

Code: [Select]
Dolphins were more intelligent than humans 50 million years ago
BUT
Seals have the largest brain per body size.

Dolphins generally sleep at night whilst SWIMing (::)) up to the surface for air ! they alternate which side of the brain is resting approximately every two hours for around eight hours whilst closing the eye on the sleeping hemisphere's side !

Some will stay close to the water's surface; others choose to rest on the ocean floor in shallow water.

Now, that would fix my METH sleeping problem so I'm working on a cure with my Neuroimaginary team of Geneticists who are helping me decode the 90% of all DNA, the JUNK(y's) DNA [or transposons (Transposable Elements)]  O:-) ::) 8) :P

... wait, what ? did i remember to sleep most of this week ? ... one eye is always closed so i never really know, ya feel me ?

I'm gonna go out and get a pet dolphin for the en-suite's bathtub so 'laters, folks !
« Last Edit: March 05, 2019, 10:21:58 PM by Chip »
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Our Discord Server invitation link is https://discord.gg/jB2qmRrxyD

Offline Chip (OP)

• Server Admin
  • Administrator
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • Chip has hidden their reputation power
  • Last Login:Yesterday at 05:53:23 PM
  • Deeply Confused Learner
  • Profession: IT Engineer
Get This > Brain Hemispeheres and How Dolphins and Seals Sleep < WTF ?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2019, 10:19:20 PM »
source: https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2013/02/130219140252.htm

How seals sleep with only half their brain at a time

High Shutter Speed: the ACTION SHOT: yes, you guessed it, a sleeping seal ... zzzzzz

The study was published this month in the Journal of Neuroscience and was headed by scientists at UCLA and the University of Toronto. It identified the chemical cues that allow the seal brain to remain half awake and asleep. Findings from this study may explain the biological mechanisms that enable the brain to remain alert during waking hours and go off-line during sleep.

"Seals do something biologically amazing -- they sleep with half their brain at a time. The left side of their brain can sleep while the right side stays awake. Seals sleep this way while they're in water, but they sleep like humans while on land. Our research may explain how this unique biological phenomenon happens" said Professor John Peever of the University of Toronto.

The study's first author, University of Toronto PhD student Jennifer Lapierre, made this discovery by measuring how different chemicals change in the sleeping and waking sides of the brain. She found that acetylcholine -- an important brain chemical -- was at low levels on the sleeping side of the brain but at high levels on the waking side. This finding suggests that acetylcholine may drive brain alertness on the side that is awake.

But, the study also showed that another important brain chemical -- serotonin -- was present at the equal levels on both sides of the brain whether the seals were awake or asleep. This was a surprising finding because scientist long thought that serotonin was a chemical that causes brain arousal.

These findings have possible human health implications because "about 40% of North Americans suffer from sleep problems and understanding which brain chemicals function to keep us awake or asleep is a major scientific advance. It could help solve the mystery of how and why we sleep" says the study's senior author Jerome Siegel of UCLA's Brain Research Institute.

fuck it, i'm throwing the dolphin out and going out Seal (Nite) Clubbing. OW ! Ooh, that hertz.

This would indicate that ALL memories are available to both hemispheres, before i forget. Like US, eh (USA).

Bad jokes are now being moderated.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions