dopetalk does not endorse any advertised product nor does it accept any liability for it's use or misuse

This website has run out of funding so feel free to contribute if you can afford it (see footer)

Author Topic: Psychedelic drugs and near-death experiences are ‘strikingly similar’  (Read 6481 times)

Offline Chip (OP)

• Server Admin
  • Administrator
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • Chip has hidden their reputation power
  • Last Login:Yesterday at 05:53:23 PM
  • Deeply Confused Learner
  • Profession: IT Engineer
source: https://metro.co.uk/2018/08/15/psychedelic-drugs-near-death-experiences-strikingly-similar-7841994/

A powerful psychedelic drug used in tribal ceremonies in South America offers the closest to a near-death experience, research has suggested.

Aug 18

A cabin in the Peruvian jungle is prepared for using ayahuasca. (Picture: Corbis)

There was an ‘intriguingly strong overlap’ between the states of people who experienced the phenomenon as they thought they were about to die and those who had taken a compound known as DMT, a study found.

The researchers, from Imperial College London, suggest the psychedelic drug may be able to alter brain activity in the same way as near-death experiences and could help improve understanding of the psychology of dying.

The study, published in journal Frontiers of Psychology, compared the experiences of 13 volunteers who were given DMT or a placebo and 67 people who had said they had a near-death experience.

DMT is the major psychoactive compound in ayahuasca, a drink made from vines and used in some tribal ceremonies in South and Central America. Some users have reported having out-of-body experiences and feelings of inner peace after consuming it.

The researchers said near-death experiences – ‘complex subjective experiences’ which occur close to actual or perceived impending death – have produced similar effects.

Chris Timmermann, a PhD candidate and lead author of the study, said: ‘Our findings show a striking similarity between the types of experiences people are having when they take DMT and people who have reported a near-death experience.’

Dr Robin Carhart-Harris, who leads the psychedelic research group at Imperial College London and oversaw the study, said: ‘These findings are important as they remind us that near-death experiences occur because of significant changes in the way the brain is working, not because of something beyond the brain.

‘DMT is a remarkable tool that can enable us to study and thus better understand the psychology and biology of dying.’ Improving understanding of the neurobiology of dying ‘may have implications for how we view this most inevitable and universal phenomenon, potentially promoting a greater familiarity with and healthy acceptance of it, the authors said.

Mr Timmermann added: ‘We hope to conduct further studies to measure the changes in brain activity that occur when people have taken the compound. ‘This, together with other work, will help us to explore not only the effects on the brain, but whether they might possibly be of medicinal benefit in future.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2018, 05:22:45 PM by Chip »
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Our Discord Server invitation link is https://discord.gg/jB2qmRrxyD

Offline MoeMentim

• Global Moderator
  • SA_Chat+
  • Reputation Power: 20
  • MoeMentim is now quite familiar.MoeMentim is now quite familiar.
  • Last Login:May 25, 2023, 09:16:26 AM
  • Our Harm Reduction & Safe Using forum
i've never met a more useful, spiritual drug than dmt.  what i wouldn't give for some deems right now... it'd be a ticket out of this rut, or at least the least destructive reprieve, i'm sure of it.  15 minutes alone with your fears, alone yet enveloped by a universe that offers a strange comfort and meaning.  you are much stranger than you know.  if you pray or similar, ask for it and it will find you at the appropriate time.  that's my experience at least.  it's infinitely a more serious an experience than acid or shrooms, you can mix with water & shoot which lasts longer (have someone else do it, you'll not get the spike out before it hits & you're unable to yourself).  you will interact, communicate with beings that are benevolent but mischevious and want to show you things about you and about being itself.  they know about your limited state of being compared to theirs and know you are here for a short time. mine take the form of bio-mechanical monkeys, their boss who is always there but doesn't communicate with me, stays behind my head out of sight & just gives orders to his underlings is a gorilla with power and knowledge.  they will ask you how much you want to see.  your first time you'll probably say "this is enough."  each time i do it it's like a new chapter to a story, an ongoing narrative that builds on the last experience.

i once had a shot mid-acid trip, i'd not recommend that initially.

got questions?  ask.

i want to go find a "lower colorado river toad", they excrete pure dmt from glands on their heads.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2018, 09:17:26 AM by MoeMentim »
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Chip (OP)

• Server Admin
  • Administrator
DMT (smoked) was the most internally?/visually colorful drug experience to date.

❤ Tryptamines ❤

it's unheard of in Sydney but somehow exotic hallucinogens seem to find me ... just lucky, i guess ...
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Our Discord Server invitation link is https://discord.gg/jB2qmRrxyD

Offline bignasty

• SA_Chat+
  • Reputation Power: 9
  • bignasty is new on the scene.
  • Last Login:September 09, 2022, 08:54:00 AM
  • Reduce Harm, Connect and Educate !
i want to go find a "lower colorado river toad", they excrete pure dmt from glands on their heads.
Is that a defense mechanism? It's weird how many different defense mechanisms there are in the universe. Little do the lower Colorado river toads know that CO is filled with people that will want to lick them or shave off their head sweat/liquid so they can shoot it or smoke it later.

Do benzo's ruin psychedelic experiences? I'd probably have a non-stop panic attack if I were to trip on anything, especially acid or anything that lasts longer than a minute. I once ate a mushroom or two and didn't really feel 'em 'cause I was drinking and taking benzo's at the time. I mentioned not feeling it and my friends said that the kpins ruined it. I'd rather go without the anxiety that would lead to a bad trip if I can avoid it. If I can't take benzo's with it, I think I'll wait 'til I have cancer or some terminal illness before I take any hallucinogens.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Chip (OP)

• Server Admin
  • Administrator
Do benzo's ruin psychedelic experiences?

My word. Never trip without benzos on hand. IT IS GOOD TO KNOW this !

proof from: https://emedicine.medscape.com/article/1011615-medication#1

If placing a patient who has used lysergic acid diethylamide (LSD) in a quiet environment with minimal stimuli is not effective, a benzodiazepine (lorazepam or diazepam) is the medication of choice, especially in patients with dysphoric reactions. Benzodiazepines decrease central and peripheral sympathomimetic drug effects.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions