dopetalk does not endorse any advertised product nor does it accept any liability for it's use or misuse

This website has run out of funding so feel free to contribute if you can afford it (see footer)

Author Topic: Philly Just Became The Second US City To Allow Safe Injection Sites  (Read 7088 times)

Offline radioactive_man (OP)

• scumfuck
  • Global Moderator
  • SA_Chat+
  • Reputation Power: 4
  • radioactive_man is new on the scene.
  • Last Login:November 18, 2022, 03:43:29 PM
  • Welcome to our community forum ...
I used to live in Philly years ago. That city will forever hold a special place in my heart. If it wasn't for the good folks at PPP, I may have died or contracted something nasty.

In the spring of '17 a pal of mine, that was outspoken for safe injection sites, was found dead of an OD in north Philly. I wish he could have seen this project come to fruition.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/azeenghorayshi/philadelphia-safe-injection-site?utm_term=.dlOPq3YJ05#.cnZxkw0Y7B

Officials in Philadelphia announced on Tuesday that the city will allow "safe injection sites," in an effort to reduce a staggering epidemic of fatal opioid overdoses.

The facilities, also known as "supervised injection sites" or "safe consumption sites," provide clean needles and space for people who inject illicit drugs. If an overdose occurs, trained staff can administer naloxone, which reverses the overdose. The facilities also test for HIV, provide wound care, and refer users to substance abuse treatment.

“We cannot just watch as our children, our parents, our brothers, and our sisters die of drug overdose,” Thomas Farley, Philadelphia's health commissioner, said in a statement. “We have to use every proven tool we can to save their lives until they recover from the grip of addiction.”

Philadelphia has the worst fatal overdose rate in the nation among large cities, Mayor Jim Kenney said in a statement. He applauded the city's "bold action to help save lives."

Philadelphia has an estimated 70,000 heroin users, according to its health department. City officials on Tuesday released a scientific review of safe injection sites. The report estimated that a single site in Philadelphia could prevent up to 76 drug overdose deaths per year. (In 2016, 907 people in Philadelphia died of an overdose.) Costs saved from averting overdose deaths were estimated at anywhere from $12.5 million to $75 million per year.

Long controversial in the US, roughly 100 safe injection sites are operating in 66 cities across the world. The first site to open in North America, a facility called Insite in Vancouver, has had more than 3.6 million drug injections under nurse supervision, 6,440 overdose interventions, and zero deaths. Officials from Philadelphia visited Vancouver in November 2017 to observe their prevention efforts firsthand.

Last January, Seattle became the first US city to announce plans to open a supervised injection site. After the Seattle mayor's announcement, a rapid backlash developed, as residents who opposed the sites tried and failed to get a ballot measure passed that would have banned them altogether.

In November, the Seattle city council announced that they would allocate $1.3 million for a site in the city. In contrast, the city of Philadelphia will not be funding or operating a site, but rather providing support to private sector development of the sites.

Other cities — including San Francisco, Ithaca, Denver, and New York — are also considering opening supervised injection sites to stop the steady rise of opioid overdose deaths.

At least one facility has been secretly operating underground in an undisclosed US city since 2014.

"Supervised injection facilities, while often controversial from a public point of view, are not controversial from a public health point of view," Jay Unick, a medical epidemiologist at the University of Maryland, told BuzzFeed News. "Overdoses are preventable. They are absolutely preventable. That’s the thing."
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Illadelph215

• Whiskey bent and hellbound
  • SA_Chat+
  • Reputation Power: 37
  • Illadelph215 is working their way up.Illadelph215 is working their way up.Illadelph215 is working their way up.
  • Last Login:June 28, 2022, 06:21:24 PM
  • Our Community
Re: Philly Just Became The Second US City To Allow Safe Injection Sites
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2018, 11:34:03 AM »
Glad to see this on my newsfeed today. I haven’t been to Kenso to cop in over a year prolly pushing two but from friends I hear it’s still somewhat the same. More fent and they did apparently shut down the train tracks where most would go shoot.
I really think this is a step in the right direction and glad they got it done. Philly needs something desperately as what they have been doing hasn’t worked. So hopefully this will spark a lot of change and less parents will have to bury their kids from overdosing.
Thanks for the read.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
There is no future, there is no past. In the present, nothing lasts.

Offline Chip

• Server Admin
  • Administrator
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • Chip has hidden their reputation power
  • Last Login:Today at 05:53:23 PM
  • Deeply Confused Learner
  • Profession: IT Engineer
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2018, 03:15:18 PM »
not a single person has died in the Sydney injecting center.

here are some facts about the ONLY one in my country:

an excerpt (it's Role):

Reduce health problems arising from drug use inclusive of managing overdoses, reducing risk of blood-borne viruses, reducing infections and health issues associated with non-hygienic drug use such as abscesses and other infections.

Promote education including health promotion strategies such as encouraging access to psychological supports, blood testing and education on hygiene practices and ways to reduce risks.

Improve access to services inclusive of social, health and therapeutic services to a marginalised population.

Reduce impact and trauma on the greater community who may witness public drug use and overdose.

Reduce public nuisance associated with an open scene including crime reduction, loitering and discarded drug paraphernalia.

Reduce health costs associated with drug use including a reduction of new HIV/Hepatitis infections, reduced burden on emergency services, reduced morbidity and mortality.

find out all details at: https://adf.org.au/insights/medically-supervised-injecting-centres/
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Our Discord Server invitation link is https://discord.gg/jB2qmRrxyD

Offline bonedust

• A High Tension Wire
  • SA_Chat+
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • bonedust has hidden their reputation power
  • Last Login:August 09, 2023, 09:03:53 PM
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2018, 10:39:16 PM »
I knew this was coming and am beyond happy.
My neighbor's daughter was just found dead of an OD in North Philly which sucks big time cuz she has two very young kids and her parents are such nice folks.

The fact that our mayor is for weed and our new DA supports safe injection sites gives me hope for my beloved city.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"You're not to be so blind with patriotism that you can't face reality. Wrong is wrong, no matter who does it or says it."-Malcolm X

Offline dillydudeEL14

• SA_Chat+
  • Reputation Power: 3
  • dillydudeEL14 is new on the scene.
  • Last Login:January 28, 2022, 10:18:52 AM
  • HR Networking
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2018, 06:46:56 AM »
That’s great. If anywhere in America needs it it’s drfin philly lol. Hopefully more cities and states will follow suit.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions