dopetalk does not endorse any advertised product nor does it accept any liability for it's use or misuse

This website has run out of funding so feel free to contribute if you can afford it (see footer)

Author Topic: recommended: Hurricanes drive addiction issues into public square  (Read 5096 times)

Offline Chip (OP)

• Server Admin
  • Administrator
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • Chip has hidden their reputation power
  • Last Login:Today at 11:22:15 AM
  • Deeply Confused Learner
  • Profession: IT Engineer
recommended: Hurricanes drive addiction issues into public square
« on: September 09, 2017, 11:45:34 PM »
source: http://www.newsobserver.com/news/article172245377.html

Scientists learned from Hurricane Katrina and Superstorm Sandy . Drug users took chances during storms, researchers found, avoiding evacuation to stay near their dealers or sharing needles with strangers putting themselves in danger of HIV and hepatitis. Those in treatment missed doses of medications and went back to street drugs to avoid withdrawal sickness. During Sandy, clinics that lost power measured methadone by candlelight.

Hurricanes drive addiction issues into public square

BY CARLA K. JOHNSON AND NOMAAN MERCHANT
Associated Press

SEPTEMBER 09, 2017 10:47 AM

In the whirr of preparations for Hurricane Irma, a needle exchange program in Miami's Overtown neighborhood handed out extra syringes to heroin users. Others trying to break from the drug's grasp picked up advance medication from methadone clinics.

Disasters cause stress, and stress can cause relapse for people struggling with addiction, whether their problem is alcohol, tobacco, pills or heroin. Authorities planning for the devastating effects of hurricanes now factor in the heightened danger of relapse and overdose.

The problems of alcoholism and addiction become more public in a storm, said researcher Andrew Golub of the National Development and Research Institutes in New York, who studied illicit drug users in New Orleans after Hurricane Katrina.

"During a storm, it becomes harder to hide and cope with one's addiction in private," Golub said.

"Disasters like this interrupt treatment," said Enrique Pouget, whose team interviewed 300 injection drug users in New York after the 2012 storm.

Methadone programs, highly regulated by the government, are required to have disaster emergency plans. The state of Florida, in cooperation with federal authorities, granted methadone clinics discretion to provide up to five days of medication ahead of Hurricane Irma.

In Texas and Louisiana, some patients took home advance doses of methadone. Others received it in shelters or from alternative facilities.

Florida's first needle exchange program — aimed at preventing overdoses and blood-borne infections — faces its biggest challenge yet with Irma. This past week, Dr. Hansel Tookes and his team gave away a week's supply of clean needles and overdose reversal kits, or Narcan.

"We want to make sure all of our people have Narcan so they can save lives and be first responders in the storm," Tookes said of the 400 drug users who rely on his program . Drug users equipped with Narcan can save others who overdose.

Mark Kinzly, co-founder of the Texas Overdose Naxolone Initiative, said his group distributed around 500 kits to clinics along the Texas coast in the midst of Harvey cleanup. Storms can be disastrous for people with addictions because they interrupt routines and schedules, he said.

"There's people that are going to be without jobs and without homes because of this hurricane," Kinzly said. "They're going to be less stable in their overall lives to begin with. That can be dangerous."

In the aftermath of flooded Houston, Julie Boon oversaw repairs at a sober-living home while giving advice to residents based on her own 30 years of sobriety.

"Have faith in the foundation you've built," said Boon of Eudaimonia Recovery Homes. "If you get into fear, reach out and speak to somebody."

People in long-term recovery have the ability to cope with disasters, said Julia Negron of Venice, Florida, a former injection drug user and organizer of the Suncoast Harm Reduction Project, a grassroots group working to prevent overdoses.

"You deal with life as it comes. So here you go: Here's a test," she said.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2017, 11:47:38 PM by chipper »
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Our Discord Server invitation link is https://discord.gg/jB2qmRrxyD

Offline dillydudeEL14

• SA_Chat+
  • Reputation Power: 3
  • dillydudeEL14 is new on the scene.
  • Last Login:January 28, 2022, 10:18:52 AM
  • HR Networking
Re: recommended: Hurricanes drive addiction issues into public square
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2017, 01:09:49 AM »
Yeah man I don't doubt it. I am right in the path for a damn near direct hit of Irma. I'm sick already. I did an opana yesterday morning my dealer is gone. He evacuated.  I'm evacuating later today. I live on a barrier island and I'm just evacuating to a friends house that is out of town at the moment. Sorry if I'm incoherent I've been drinking since 10 am cuz I'm sick lol.

We're going to my parents friends house just on the mainland. lol I'm pretty sure it's still in a evacuate zone but should be ok. The owner is Out of townnn. I hope to god there are some injectsble opioids in the med cabinet. I feel horrible that that is my main focus right now.  But y'all know how it is to be sick.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Chip (OP)

• Server Admin
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2017, 01:14:29 AM »
... and this approaching one is the MOTHER of all storms ... people are terrified and we are so worried about you guys.

once upon a time, my (Methadone dispensing) pharamacy partially burnt down from a fire in the room above it and they stayed open just to dispense Methadone, nice.

i think i'd be tempted to even loot a pharmacy on compassionate grounds if i was sick enough !

friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline dillydudeEL14

• SA_Chat+
  • Reputation Power: 3
  • dillydudeEL14 is new on the scene.
  • Last Login:January 28, 2022, 10:18:52 AM
  • HR Networking
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2017, 06:48:59 AM »
Omg chipper I was soooo tempted.  But I thought better of it. And who knows they may have taken all the c2 narcotics offsiteto a safe area. Prob not but u never know.

Anyway the storm didn't end up being a big deal in my area. We were without power for like 2 days. I'm very thankful that we didn't get th predicted storm surge and flooding though. Like they had my area right in the path for a direct hit. I'm not exactly sure what happened. I think it just weakened a lot by the time it hit us. We were pretty scared for a while though. Actually the opposite of storm surge happened. All the water receded and the news people kept saying watch out it's gonna come back twice as high but it never did lol.

And props to your old done clinicfor staying open and dispensing.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2017, 06:54:38 AM by dillydudeEL14 »
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Chip (OP)

• Server Admin
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2017, 08:45:59 AM »
sweet. did your supply remain open ?
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Tags:

dopetalk does not endorse any advertised product nor does it accept any liability for it's use or misuse

TERMS AND CONDITIONS

In no event will d&u or any person involved in creating, producing, or distributing site information be liable for any direct, indirect, incidental, punitive, special or consequential damages arising out of the use of or inability to use d&u. You agree to indemnify and hold harmless d&u, its domain founders, sponsors, maintainers, server administrators, volunteers and contributors from and against all liability, claims, damages, costs and expenses, including legal fees, that arise directly or indirectly from the use of any part of the d&u site.

TO USE THIS WEBSITE YOU MUST AGREE TO THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS ABOVE

Founded December 2014
SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal