Author Topic: anabuse  (Read 1331 times)

Offline MoeMentim (OP)

• SA_Chat+
  • Reputation Power: 13
  • MoeMentim is new on the scene.
  • Last Login:Today at 06:03:15 AM
  • Our Harm Reduction & Safe Using forum
anabuse
« on: January 11, 2017, 11:10:34 PM »
  Any experience?  I'm considering asking my psych to prescribe.  I think if I could get a month or so away from alcohol I'd stop taking the anabuse & feel like I'd stay away on my own fairly easily.  Mostly wondering about side effects but they don't sound too serious.  Anyone use it for a brief period then continue on to stay sober on their own?

Offline Oxyphile

• your local misanthrope
  • Regular
  • Reputation Power: 3
  • Oxyphile is new on the scene.
  • Last Login:January 13, 2017, 10:40:39 PM
  • chronic pain junkie
Re: anabuse
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2017, 10:23:40 PM »
no personal experience, but my father took antabuse for years. he never experienced much in the way of side effects, and knowing that he'd get violently ill if he drank was a sufficient deterrent to keep him away from alcohol. after 5 or 6 years he stopped taking it and never went back to drinking. maybe it would help you do the same thing? good luck with whatever you decide to do, Moe!
freedom is nothing soft and sweet, it's beautiful and terrible. it's admitting everything that I don't want anyone to know. it's telling people that I love I stole from them when they weren't looking. it's fucking up so many times that they won't pick up when I call them.

Offline bignasty

• SA_Chat+
  • Reputation Power: 4
  • bignasty is new on the scene.
  • Last Login:April 04, 2018, 01:06:48 PM
  • Reduce Harm, Connect and Educate !
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2017, 02:24:54 AM »
I tried to get it RX'd before but the Dr wouldn't give it to me because of the side effects because alcohol is in so much stuff that people don't realize, i.e. hair spray, mouth wash, a lot of liquid medicine, etc..

Offline MoeMentim (OP)

• SA_Chat+
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2017, 03:04:35 AM »
I tried to get it RX'd before but the Dr wouldn't give it to me because of the side effects because alcohol is in so much stuff that people don't realize, i.e. hair spray, mouth wash, a lot of liquid medicine, etc..

That's good to know.  I'm pretty sure I don't use anything with alcohol.  I guess one needs to be cautious with food to, like be sure nothing is cooked with wine, etc.

Offline MoeMentim (OP)

• SA_Chat+
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2018, 01:27:58 AM »
update:  3 weeks taking the antabuse & i have found it easier than expected, removes the choice.  been daydreaming about h instead though.

Offline nurse_K

• Regular
  • SA_Chat+
  • Reputation Power: 7
  • nurse_K is new on the scene.
  • Last Login:March 29, 2018, 01:10:27 AM
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2018, 01:56:47 AM »
Well done!
Antabus in no longer recommended as first choice from where I come from. First choice is medicine to minimize the craving.Also, but not least recommendations goes that antabus should not be the entire treatment so to say. Medical support should be additional to support i.e piers, therapy.

Offline Lolleedee

• La Dee Da Dee Da!
  • SA_Chat+
  • Reputation Power: 21
  • Lolleedee is now quite familiar.Lolleedee is now quite familiar.
  • Last Login:Yesterday at 03:21:01 PM
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2018, 03:23:30 AM »
Glad to hear that the antabuse seems to be working for you. They are having great success with using Naltrexone for alcoholism. If you have Netflix look up the documentary one little pill. also, research the Sinclair method.

The way they describe it is that you take the Naltrexone while you continue to drink and that it's slowly reduces the craving and the effects of it. Of course, if you are also addicted to opiates Naltrexone is out of the question.
...Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, For you are crunchy and good with ketchup...

Offline MoeMentim (OP)

• SA_Chat+
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2018, 11:58:43 PM »
i didnt refill the script and am back to drinking.  :(  just need to not drink for one night so I can resume the antabuse...  it'll happen, just a matter of when.  hopefully sooner rather than later.

Tags:

TERMS AND CONDITIONS

In no event will d&u or any person involved in creating, producing, or distributing site information be liable for any direct, indirect, incidental, punitive, special or consequential damages arising out of the use of or inability to use d&u. You agree to indemnify and hold harmless d&u, its domain founders, sponsors, maintainers, server administrators, volunteers and contributors from and against all liability, claims, damages, costs and expenses, including legal fees, that arise directly or indirectly from the use of any part of the d&u site.

TO USE THIS WEBSITE YOU MUST AGREE TO THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS ABOVE

Founded December 2014