dopetalk does not endorse any advertised product nor does it accept any liability for it's use or misuse

This website has run out of funding so feel free to contribute if you can afford it (see footer)

Author Topic: Contrave?  (Read 10703 times)

Offline dizzle (OP)

• that nizzle
  • SA_Chat+
  • Reputation Power: 40
  • dizzle is now getting very popular.dizzle is now getting very popular.dizzle is now getting very popular.dizzle is now getting very popular.
  • Last Login:February 15, 2019, 02:40:50 AM
Contrave?
« on: December 29, 2016, 10:18:41 AM »
So I'm sitting here watching some bullshit tv, and a commercial comes on for a medication called "Contrave" it's being. Sold as a weight loss medication, but what makes me curious is one of the active ingredients, wellbutrin  and NALTREXONE.....

What the fuck!?!?!

The commercial said "it works on two important areas in the brain, one is the rewards system" which is obviously the naltrexone. It's I tresting because their basically CPU ting on the naltrexone to block all natural endorphins. At the end of the commercial they said "it may cause sucicidal thought or actions" which is accurate.

I just wanted to point out the naltrexone is being used  for weight loss by blocking the natural endorphins that are released when you eat food, get good news, have sex, etc. I feel like it's a terrible idea and can't understand how shit like this gets approved for sale in the USA. Only more proof the FDA is in the pocket of the pharmaceutical companies....

Anyone have any thoughts?
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Snout

• Reputation Power: 20
  • Snout is now quite familiar.Snout is now quite familiar.
  • Last Login:September 28, 2023, 09:42:59 AM
Re: Contrave?
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2016, 10:23:20 AM »
I would suggest not taking this for that pesky methadone weight gain
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
I myself have found a real rival in myself,
I am hoping for a re-arrival of my health- wilco

Offline Thoms

• "Is a sex God"
  • SA_Chat+
  • Reputation Power: 24
  • Thoms is now quite familiar.Thoms is now quite familiar.
  • Last Login:May 27, 2018, 01:32:26 AM
  • Welcome to our community forum ...
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2016, 01:43:05 PM »
Lmfao. Suicidal thought is fucking right!. Fucking pwd from hell. Wellibutrin is an okay pill to throw in the mix on random occasions if you don't have siezures and aren't taking any saris/snris. You sure as fuck aren't gonna get high in any way shape or form from the wellibutrun but you might have some very vivid dreams. The great part about the wellibutrun though is the fuvking ungodly strong orgasims.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Fear and self loathing in thoms.

Offline Lolleedee

• La Dee Da Dee Da!
  • SA_Chat+
  • Reputation Power: 21
  • Lolleedee is now quite familiar.Lolleedee is now quite familiar.
  • Last Login:May 04, 2021, 04:52:15 PM
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2016, 11:41:06 PM »
Holy shit!  I was just going to post about this!  I just saw this commercial too.  I went on the website and read the prescribing information.  The thing that kills me is that there are no studies that prove naltrexone even works for weight loss and/or food cravings.  They basically are just assuming that it will work without any proof.  Maybe I am missing where it said that double blind studies proved it's efficacy for weight loss.

As for the suicidal thing...even Wellbutrin can cause thoughts of suicide in some people..add the nasty naltexone and all of it's vicious side effects and this medication becomes a big, mind-fucking mess!  Who cares about losing weight when you have already off-ed yourself?  Another stooopid drug approval from the stooopid (and crooked..let's not forget crooked!) FDA!!!
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
...Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, For you are crunchy and good with ketchup...

Offline MoeMentim

• Global Moderator
  • SA_Chat+
  • Reputation Power: 20
  • MoeMentim is now quite familiar.MoeMentim is now quite familiar.
  • Last Login:May 25, 2023, 09:16:26 AM
  • Our Harm Reduction & Safe Using forum
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2016, 11:53:59 PM »
That is seriously fucked up.  When I was trying to get off h I went (once) to see a psych who specialized in opiate addiction, he wanted me on naltrexone pretty bad.  I told him I could not deal with even the chance of it blocking any of my own endorphins.  He said it doesn't do that but this application for eating disorders would only work if it does.  Fuck that.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline theSWPK

• Oxymorphone Overlord
  • SA_Chat+
  • Reputation Power: 36
  • theSWPK is working their way up.theSWPK is working their way up.theSWPK is working their way up.
  • Last Login:March 16, 2023, 07:00:11 PM
  • Welcome to active addiction!
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2016, 02:39:02 AM »
Had a doc at rehab tell me vivitrol didn't block endorphins so I showed him the literature and explained what blocking endogenous opioid peptide sites meant. He was just like. Huh. Well...
Also can one use bupe on naltrexone? Can potent mu opioid displace naltrexone (although that's asking for irreversible od if too much is administered, titrated carefully.)?
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now fixing in a parking lot near you!

"And you dont know my complexity." - Riddick

Offline Dopeless Hopefiend

• Reputation Power: 8
  • Dopeless Hopefiend is new on the scene.
  • Last Login:May 30, 2017, 01:20:01 AM
  • Reduce Harm, Connect and Educate !
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2016, 04:00:20 AM »
This shit sounds like an absolute nightmare. No shit it'll cause suicidal thoughts, ugh. Sometimes I wonder where they even come up with the ideas for some of the new medications they put on the market. Fuck that. I'll pass on this one.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Words are our most inexhaustible source of magic, capable of both inflicting injury and remedying it. - Albus  Dumbledore

Offline Mr.pooper

• Reputation Power: 18
  • Mr.pooper is new on the scene.
  • Last Login:July 26, 2022, 09:12:34 PM
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2016, 06:58:37 AM »
Had a doc at rehab tell me vivitrol didn't block endorphins so I showed him the literature and explained what blocking endogenous opioid peptide sites meant. He was just like. Huh. Well...
Also can one use bupe on naltrexone? Can potent mu opioid displace naltrexone (although that's asking for irreversible od if too much is administered, titrated carefully.)?

Would that mean someone with the vivitrol implant would be experiencing some sort of natural endorphins being blocked? Im interested in hearing what the blocking of endogenous opioid peptide sites does to people. Sounds like a bad time. I know someone who just got a 6 month implant, wondered if it would fuck with them.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"If only I had checked myself"
-Guy who wrecked himself

Offline theSWPK

• Oxymorphone Overlord
  • SA_Chat+
  • Reputation Power: 36
  • theSWPK is working their way up.theSWPK is working their way up.theSWPK is working their way up.
  • Last Login:March 16, 2023, 07:00:11 PM
  • Welcome to active addiction!
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2017, 10:30:53 AM »

Would that mean someone with the vivitrol implant would be experiencing some sort of natural endorphins being blocked? Im interested in hearing what the blocking of endogenous opioid peptide sites does to people. Sounds like a bad time. I know someone who just got a 6 month implant, wondered if it would fuck with them.

I've heard anecdotal accounts that sex and excercise/eating were just grey holes of no pleasure. Months into the treatment w someone that was super serious about stopping.

I'd cut it out.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now fixing in a parking lot near you!

"And you dont know my complexity." - Riddick

Tags:

dopetalk does not endorse any advertised product nor does it accept any liability for it's use or misuse

TERMS AND CONDITIONS

In no event will d&u or any person involved in creating, producing, or distributing site information be liable for any direct, indirect, incidental, punitive, special or consequential damages arising out of the use of or inability to use d&u. You agree to indemnify and hold harmless d&u, its domain founders, sponsors, maintainers, server administrators, volunteers and contributors from and against all liability, claims, damages, costs and expenses, including legal fees, that arise directly or indirectly from the use of any part of the d&u site.

TO USE THIS WEBSITE YOU MUST AGREE TO THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS ABOVE

Founded December 2014
SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal