dopetalk does not endorse any advertised product nor does it accept any liability for it's use or misuse

This website has run out of funding so feel free to contribute if you can afford it (see footer)

Author Topic: Toronto Needle Exchanges  (Read 8222 times)

Offline mickeyaye6989 (OP)

• Regular
  • Reputation Power: 3
  • mickeyaye6989 is new on the scene.
  • Last Login:October 20, 2021, 12:55:52 AM
  • Welcome to drugs-and-users !
Toronto Needle Exchanges
« on: October 20, 2016, 01:49:23 PM »
Hi all,
Just wanted to drop an update regarding the excellent harm reduction and needle exchange programs in Toronto, Canada. If only the rest of the world would realize what the Canadian government has, and provide similar services to what we have here, maybe new cases of HIV and HCV would begin to recede.

There's a main, gov't sponsored facility located in Dundas Square, which is one of the main downtown areas of Toronto, and located less than a 5 minute walk from both a prominent metro station, as well as the largest mall in Toronto. This service, called The Works, and functions both as a needle exchange and a mental health/dependency support facility. Not only can one get all their supplies, regardless of DOC (every type of needle and device from insulin syringes to steroid syringe setups to clean stems for smoking crack), but they also provide support with regards to counselling, as well as methadone treatment. Aside from The Works, there are many, MANY other facilities in the city that will also provide clean injection kits, but this place seems to be the most comprehensive.

I feel it is a massive understatement in saying that this facility has been LIFE CHANGING for me, as I previously hailed from the Southern US, where you are one lucky motherfucker if you can get a 10 pack of rigs from Walmart. They provide all types of needles (long tips, shorts, 1ml 3ml, 10ml barrels, and every gauge of Luer-Lok you could think of, in addition to sharps containers that they are happy to take back after you use and fill them up. Why does every city not have a similar type of facility????

Knowing a decent amount of people that have contacted HCV from dirty needles (sometimes cleaned and resold as new....), I may be biased in that I can only see benefit from these facilities, and see no way that they would be a detriment to society. Knowing that I will always, Always, ALWAYS have new, clean needles has changed my mindset, and also removed a bit of the stigma surrounding opiate addiction. Hopefully the rest of the world comes around soon.

Anyone else have experiences with facilities such as these? I'm curious to see what countries have wholly given in to safe injection practices (well, just short of having a supervised injection facility) as these? Hope to hear some stories of relief from both stress and stigma. Happy nodding.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Dopeless Hopefiend

• Reputation Power: 8
  • Dopeless Hopefiend is new on the scene.
  • Last Login:May 30, 2017, 01:20:01 AM
  • Reduce Harm, Connect and Educate !
Re: Toronto Needle Exchanges
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2016, 02:04:52 PM »
I live in the Pacific Northwest, and I can say that Portland & Seattle have both had excellent needle exchange programs for the last 20 years or so. Though it's been a number of years since I've been an active IV user I've talked to a lot of people who still use their services and have heard that they've continued to get better. In PDX they will even deliver clean needles/supplies by the case to users who are unable to get themselves down to one of the exchange sites.

I've never understood the mindset of those people who are against these types of programs. The argument that it encourages anyone to start or keep using that would otherwise be clean is such a complete load of shit. Nothing but good comes from programs like these.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Words are our most inexhaustible source of magic, capable of both inflicting injury and remedying it. - Albus  Dumbledore

Offline mickeyaye6989 (OP)

• Regular
  • Reputation Power: 3
  • mickeyaye6989 is new on the scene.
  • Last Login:October 20, 2021, 12:55:52 AM
  • Welcome to drugs-and-users !
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2016, 04:39:38 AM »
That's excellent to hear about the West Coast. I had heard that Portland was pretty great about needle exchange programs, so it sounds like they have an identical thing going in Toronto. We have the same type of delivery service too - super comforting that I don't even need to go anywhere to get clean rigs. You call and put in your order, and they deliver at 5pm. Can't imagine moving anywhere without this type of service now that I'm so spoiled, lol.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Chip

• Server Admin
  • Administrator
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • Chip has hidden their reputation power
  • Last Login:Yesterday at 05:53:23 PM
  • Deeply Confused Learner
  • Profession: IT Engineer
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2016, 01:30:44 PM »
Australia, particularly Sydney, has some great places - one has a large display where you can get anything related to injecting from little cookers to anti-bruise creme, all for free.

There are many places to source equipment.

Deliveries are also possible but I never used them.

Our laws are forgiving and if you get caught with a small amount of methamphetamine then you get a ticket that can be paid off with a fine if you are lucky.

I once was nabbed with a gram of pot and only got a caution. The second time, I had less and the guy threw it away after crushing it up and told me to avoid the local area for a while and to go straight home.

Lucky me. That's why I still have respect for the cops.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Our Discord Server invitation link is https://discord.gg/jB2qmRrxyD

Offline Anti-hero

• Next Level Idiot
  • SA_Chat+
  • Reputation Power: 30
  • Anti-hero is working their way up.Anti-hero is working their way up.Anti-hero is working their way up.
  • Last Login:February 10, 2019, 04:20:41 AM
  • Can't get high or you will die or you'll die
    • Head don't give a shit
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2016, 02:33:39 PM »
It would be great to
Live in a country
Where the government
Realizes that
People are going to do
What they want to do.
And the best thing is