dopetalk does not endorse any advertised product nor does it accept any liability for it's use or misuse

This website has run out of funding so feel free to contribute if you can afford it (see footer)

Author Topic: New Sub Treatment Probuphine  (Read 6046 times)

Offline Griffin (OP)

• Reputation Power: 34
  • Griffin is working their way up.Griffin is working their way up.Griffin is working their way up.
  • Last Login:February 29, 2020, 09:21:12 PM
  • Welcome to our community forum ...
New Sub Treatment Probuphine
« on: January 25, 2016, 08:55:46 AM »
http://www.ktoo.org/2016/01/15/new-medications-treating-opioid-addiction-horizon/

It is basically like the birth control meds(implanon) they have out now where you get a little implant in your arm and are covered for 3 or 5 years, except it's subs and it only lasts 6 months. I personally wouldn't want it unless I was going to jail, in that case it would be one of the best things ever. I am not sure how hard it would be to remove it, I am sure we will find out if it ever gets approved.

I don't see a little skin getting in the way of a wonderful high or super cravings. I know subs didn't touch my cravings and I hope that people have to be on subs for at least 6 months before being allowed to go this route. That way we don't see every other young junkie with huge scars on their arms in the future. If they could do this for methadone I might entertain the idea but it really isn't that inconvenient for me to take it or go get it once every week or 2. However It'd be quite useful for people going to jail or traveling a lot.

I wonder how it works as far as how much meds it gives you and at what intervals. I'd assume they would stabilize you for a year or so on a certain dose before giving you the implant. Maybe have different mg implants such as 8mg/12hrs or 16mg/day or whatever. That'd make the most sense to me anyway. Is there any other way it could be done? I think they would have to make sure that you are adjusted to that level of meds, and stable for a while before they go shoving anything in your arm but who knows.

It will probably cost a fortune. I know when my ex got the birth control implant there was like a $700 copay with her insurance that ended up being covered by something because she got it when it first came out. I mean a one month sub script for me w/o insurance in '13 was around $550 I can't imagine what they would want for 6 months worth. I'll definitely be curious of what the cost would be w/o insurance. They don't have to surgically implant it so your pcp can do it which is good but I am sure there will be a hefty price tag on it.

What do you guys think? Good idea, bad idea? Would you ever get it implanted in your arm? I don't know why I wouldn't second guess getting a pump for real drugs but a little sub implant seems crazy to me. What do you think the pros and cons would be of getting it? Also do you think it will even get past all the testing to make it to the public? What potential problems do you think will arise from this. I hope this isn't the way pain meds are going, to keep people from abusing them.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline QueensVet

• Reputation Power: 3
  • QueensVet is new on the scene.
  • Last Login:March 19, 2018, 09:21:49 AM
  • E Z Rider, wanna smoke?
Re: New Sub Treatment Probuphine
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2016, 11:11:50 AM »
Whats up griffin,
Had a friend who had that, I didnt know much else besides that it was a "shot" as he called it, and released throughout a period of time. Me personally, I am on bupe maintenance, and on a low dose which I find is ideal, and sometimes I skip a dose or two to really feel the following one. I still do have cravings. But I can see two sides to this.

Its a good idea in the view of relapse, as it becomes less ideal as you cannot simply skip a dose, but for someone who isnt serious about recovery wouldn't have access to it based on what your saying about the six month requirement.

I see it as being bad because for someone like me I find I like to lower my dose or skip sometimes perhaps for sex drive, recreational use or clarity of mind sometimes.

Theres two sides, maybe more. But I wouldn't  do it personally, I like  to be in control of my own habit and recovery if I can manage.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Living Maintenance, Opio-survival.
When I was in the Navy, they made us sweep puddles in the rain.

Offline Zoops

• Filius non bonum de canis femina.
  • Deceased
  • Reputation Power: 58
  • Zoops has got loads of potential.Zoops has got loads of potential.Zoops has got loads of potential.Zoops has got loads of potential.Zoops has got loads of potential.
  • Last Login:September 29, 2017, 04:49:02 AM
  • Keeping the wolves at bay with a sharp stick.
Re: New Sub Treatment Probuphine
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2016, 11:28:20 AM »
In a future, nightmare gangster Frankenstein CIA police state, I could see addicts having this treatment forcibly "installed" as it were.

"you wanna do some dope? OK? Then well, we got somethin for ya. To ensure your continued participation in our little game called: Green. Get the money. Dolla dolla bill yall."
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions