dopetalk does not endorse any advertised product nor does it accept any liability for it's use or misuse

This website has run out of funding so feel free to contribute if you can afford it (see footer)

Author Topic: Making the Forum More Exciting and Interesting  (Read 29834 times)

Offline Narkotikon

• Honest
  • SA_Chat+
  • Reputation Power: 50
  • Narkotikon has got loads of potential.Narkotikon has got loads of potential.Narkotikon has got loads of potential.Narkotikon has got loads of potential.Narkotikon has got loads of potential.
  • Last Login:March 28, 2016, 11:31:11 PM
  • Keeping Them Honest
Re: Making the Forum More Exciting and Interesting
« Reply #14 from previous page: January 20, 2016, 02:39:16 AM »
If the format isn't going to be changed, maybe a change in color scheme? Cosmetic and something minor compared to massively streamlining things. Maybe some darker colors? Or different skins so members could choose? This could be the default.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Transparency is necessary to ensure decent staff members get elected. Members need to know when staff are misbehaving, so members can be informed voters.

Offline Illadelph215

• Whiskey bent and hellbound
  • SA_Chat+
  • Reputation Power: 37
  • Illadelph215 is working their way up.Illadelph215 is working their way up.Illadelph215 is working their way up.
  • Last Login:June 28, 2022, 06:21:24 PM
  • Our Community
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2016, 03:13:17 AM »
Mobil Friendly Apps would be awesome, someone else mentioned it, @Fentfiend420 I believe. I know it might be a bold request as I don't know much about IT/computer programs , I'm sure cost and time would come into play. But I think it will catch on and make the site better in the long run. It's convient using a smartphone at times but difficult and frustrating to navigate with the current format on them.

friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
There is no future, there is no past. In the present, nothing lasts.

Offline Chip (OP)

• Server Admin
  • Administrator
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • Chip has hidden their reputation power
  • Last Login:Yesterday at 05:53:23 PM
  • Deeply Confused Learner
  • Profession: IT Engineer
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2016, 03:22:03 AM »
If the format isn't going to be changed, maybe a change in color scheme? Cosmetic and something minor compared to massively streamlining things. Maybe some darker colors? Or different skins so members could choose? This could be the default.

i elected for a single non-changeable Theme to allow all the mods to the system to install easily.

that means skins and Ophile like goodies are out.

i am avoiding Tapatalk due to problems with it.

sorry but no cosmetic changes or mobile compatability - i use Chrome on Android and it works well for me but that's not good for you, i guess.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Our Discord Server invitation link is https://discord.gg/jB2qmRrxyD

Offline Narkotikon

• Honest
  • SA_Chat+
  • Reputation Power: 50
  • Narkotikon has got loads of potential.Narkotikon has got loads of potential.Narkotikon has got loads of potential.Narkotikon has got loads of potential.Narkotikon has got loads of potential.
  • Last Login:March 28, 2016, 11:31:11 PM
  • Keeping Them Honest
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2016, 04:41:06 AM »
i elected for a single non-changeable Theme to allow all the mods to the system to install easily.

that means skins and Ophile like goodies are out.

i am avoiding Tapatalk due to problems with it.

sorry but no cosmetic changes or mobile compatability - i use Chrome on Android and it works well for me but that's not good for you, i guess.

That makes sense concerning the skins / change in colors.

I use Safari and I don't have a problem using the site. I just turn it sideways to use a wider, landscaped view. Then I zoom in to read and click better. Works good enough.

I think it was the people above and below me (FentFiend and Illadelph) who wanted a mobile version.

I've never used Tapatalk. What kinda problems?
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Transparency is necessary to ensure decent staff members get elected. Members need to know when staff are misbehaving, so members can be informed voters.

Offline Chip (OP)

• Server Admin
  • Administrator
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2016, 05:23:30 AM »
I will look into it for you.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline DeadCat

• Deceased
  • Reputation Power: 41
  • DeadCat is now getting very popular.DeadCat is now getting very popular.DeadCat is now getting very popular.DeadCat is now getting very popular.
  • Last Login:June 07, 2017, 04:01:37 PM
  • Welcome to our community forum ...
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2016, 06:46:13 AM »
This isn't really an admin or structural issue but I think that whenever outside articles and websites are quoted the poster should write an intruductory paragraph giving accreditation and why it is of interest to members here. Then, there should be a clear line of demarcation so anything cut and pasted is clearly indicated and readers don't just start reading what they think is a post from another memebr to find they are reading a news clipping taht they may not hae much interest in reading.

Getting people to do this can be a PITA but if staff does it and we remind members who are just cutting and pasting it will eventually become the standard.

The idea is that while it is good in itself to share relevant outsie information we also want to use these articles or links to spark more discussion. Commenting about the article and asking for feedback will do this more than simply posting cut and pastes.

friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Sand and Water

• Sand and Water has hidden their reputation power
  • Last Login:March 16, 2016, 06:27:41 AM
  • Welcome to our community forum ...
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2016, 09:33:10 AM »
ay.

since this board is a mix between an old community and its own community thats still growing,
a lot of the old heads probably feel like they are repeating themselves when they talk about the past: stories, things theyve been through, anything at all really. as long as theyve posted it in sometime in the past.

I thnk a lot of people feel like theyd be rehashing old things but maybe thats
more important than we realize, to bring up old subjects that we had fun with.

reading about what others have experienced was probably the major reason I was hooked to begin with.
and it was always either extremely interesting, very funny, gritty as hell, or a usually a combination of all 3.

I second this^^. Way back late summer or early fall I think, someone started a thread on this. Like favorite topics.  The stories & popular threads from the phile are part of a lot of us. I think they're really valuable, whether for info (chops taper coatings to mind) or general like the "prison/jail stories".

I've forgotten a lot of the details, yet still remember many, so I hope some of them get shared here too :)
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Lose something every day. Accept the fluster
of lost door keys, the hour badly spent.
The art of losing isn't hard to master.
Then practice losing farther, losing faster:
places, and names, and where it was you meant
to travel. None of these will bring disaster.

Offline thetalkingasshole

• Self-Transforming Machine Elf
  • SA_Chat+
  • thetalkingasshole has hidden their reputation power
  • Last Login:July 06, 2019, 06:22:48 AM
  • Always with an arm out and a leg up
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2016, 12:02:33 PM »
Maybe start a thing kinda like "casual friday"
Except its called titty tuesday

Very interesting and exciting
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
As I grew up, I opened my eyes and saw the real world, and I began to laugh, and I haven't stopped since

Offline Illadelph215

• SA_Chat+
  • Illadelph215 is working their way up.Illadelph215 is working their way up.Illadelph215 is working their way up.
  • Our Community
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2016, 01:06:21 PM »
Maybe start a thing kinda like "casual friday"
Except its called titty tuesday

Very interesting and exciting
second this! Except I'm afraid with the guy to gal ratio on here titty Tuesday will turn into tally wacker Tuesday real quick.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Z

« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2016, 01:22:30 PM »
This isn't really an admin or structural issue but I think that whenever outside articles and websites are quoted the poster should write an intruductory paragraph giving accreditation and why it is of interest to members here. Then, there should be a clear line of demarcation so anything cut and pasted is clearly indicated and readers don't just start reading what they think is a post from another memebr to find they are reading a news clipping taht they may not hae much interest in reading.

Getting people to do this can be a PITA but if staff does it and we remind members who are just cutting and pasting it will eventually become the standard.

The idea is that while it is good in itself to share relevant outsie information we also want to use these articles or links to spark more discussion. Commenting about the article and asking for feedback will do this more than simply posting cut and pastes.

SMF has a forum that is full of help on how to use the forum.  Here is the link: http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php
There is also a wiki that is called an online manual.  It is easier to follow then the forum, and topics are well organized.  This is the wiki: http://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/Main_Page

As for requiring a paragraph to post an article, I will just disagree with that.  I post a lot of articles, and I certainly do have an opinion on them.  At the same time I prefer to let other people start a discussion so that it doesn't seem like my opinion should be the basis of the thread.  I prefer to leave the initial discussion to others and then join in later.  I don't see why I need to post an opinion in order to share an interesting article.  I identify it clearly with titles, author's name, and a link to the article.  If you don't find it interesting then just don't read it.  I'm sorry, but I don't see the issue.

If you want to post articles in that manner then you can do it that way, but I prefer to use the method I use, and have used for a while. 

Edit:
second this! Except I'm afraid with the guy to gal ratio on here titty Tuesday will turn into tally wacker Tuesday real quick.

Men have tits too!  Free your tits men!!
« Last Edit: January 20, 2016, 01:25:32 PM by Z »
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Illadelph215

• SA_Chat+
  • Our Community
« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2016, 02:25:36 PM »

Edit: quote by Z-
"Men have tits too!  Free your tits men!!"

lol hey if any of these nice dames on here want to do titty's for titty's then il glady bare my hairy tatted pecks and join that party!
« Last Edit: January 20, 2016, 02:28:40 PM by Illadelph215 »
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline dysmorphic

• Master of all things Ganja
  • Reputation Power: 7
  • dysmorphic is new on the scene.
  • Last Login:April 24, 2020, 09:28:55 AM
  • I. LIKE. BIG. BUTTS!!!
« Reply #25 on: December 22, 2016, 07:59:04 AM »
Boobs, you can't go wrong with boobs.....
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Herpes, its like congress for your dick!
~John Oliver~

Offline Chip (OP)

• Server Admin
  • Administrator
« Reply #26 on: December 22, 2016, 01:03:55 PM »
as far as changes go to the actual forum software, I now deem it stable so expect very little changes.

yes, i know that it doesn't dazzle you with cool graphics and wild themes but it's for a reason - RELIABILITY and easily to UPGRADE.

it's still built by, run and for users/junkies ... we are aiming for maximum availability and to to free for all !

i hope you guys are happy with it because if you hunt around, it may not have everything that vB (Opiophile's) had but it's still powerful, got it's own goodies and is fast.

my current focus is making the underlying O/S as hack-proof and attack-proof as possible - i want you guys to feel like your personal data is locked up nice and tight - and so far, we have not be proven wrong.

socially, we are still attracting interesting members so that's our greatest asset, apart from the core member base who dedicate their time and insights to the cause.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2016, 03:23:18 AM by chipper »
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Z

« Reply #27 on: December 23, 2016, 02:37:07 AM »
Good bump.  I am very interested to read any ideas people have for improving the forum.  What do you guys want to see here that isn't already here, or maybe it's already here and you want to see more of it.

Everyone's opinions are valid!old or new, active or not, lurker or post whore.  Maybe even Riddick if he had something interesting to say. Like that would ever happen.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Tags:

dopetalk does not endorse any advertised product nor does it accept any liability for it's use or misuse

TERMS AND CONDITIONS

In no event will d&u or any person involved in creating, producing, or distributing site information be liable for any direct, indirect, incidental, punitive, special or consequential damages arising out of the use of or inability to use d&u. You agree to indemnify and hold harmless d&u, its domain founders, sponsors, maintainers, server administrators, volunteers and contributors from and against all liability, claims, damages, costs and expenses, including legal fees, that arise directly or indirectly from the use of any part of the d&u site.

TO USE THIS WEBSITE YOU MUST AGREE TO THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS ABOVE

Founded December 2014
SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal