dopetalk does not endorse any advertised product nor does it accept any liability for it's use or misuse

This website has run out of funding so feel free to contribute if you can afford it (see footer)

Author Topic: a NON-BINDING (hypothetical) Poll on Registrations  (Read 31156 times)

Offline Opus

• Tech
  • SA_Chat+
  • Reputation Power: 31
  • Opus is working their way up.Opus is working their way up.Opus is working their way up.
  • Last Login:May 06, 2018, 01:21:20 AM
  • 110, 100, 90, 80, 76, 70, 64, 60, 58
Re: a NON-BINDING (hypothetical) Poll on Registrations
« Reply #29 from previous page: February 01, 2016, 04:12:43 PM »
One of the important aspects of the system we use is that the invite chain from the very first user to the most recent user is preserved and displayed on each member profile.  I also make it very clear that when a member invites someone to the forum that they are essentially taking responsibility for that persons behavior.  Fortunately, there haven't been any issues where this mattered, but I think it makes people think twice about inviting people who might not be a good fit for the community.

The forum has been around several years now and has ~1100 members and ~650,000 posts.  It still feels like a close knit environment, and I don't regret the invite-only system one bit, as it's served the goal of keeping the forum more like a family and generally fairly low maintenance (though we've had our drama, no doubt.)

"Invite chain"?

In about 9 years here I've never heard of an invite chain.

I completely and totally disagree about the (a) documented referral system. Just cos someone knows someone else, doesn't mean it's gonna work out. And call me paranoid but one of the things cops REALLY love to do is to have an established provable chain of operations. Now me, I ain't doin' shit wrong, but if someone was mailing.. oidk, oinkjuice across the country, I gives a fuck cos IMO, there are worse crimes out there than vaping oinkjuice, capice? But some people disagree and think anyone using oinkjuice for any reason at all should burn in hell. But again, I gives a fuck, cos all this board here is for is free speech and HR tips.

So ya, I don't see a need for referrals or vetting out -- few people here today would probably recognize the names I remember as the old heads from the old board anyway; so where would it start?

Maybe I misunderstand, and after that weed I just burned down I'd have a valid excuse for not understanding 2+2, but IMO this isn't a community that's so much vouched for and vetted out like HA or some shit, we're just a bunch of internet dope heads without much to worry about, cos we ain't breaking any laws, right?; just talking. And at least in The US free speech was still legal last I checked (IDK about the UK or OZ or Canada, fuk'n barbarians the lot of 'em - NZ gets a break tho).
« Last Edit: February 01, 2016, 04:14:48 PM by Opus »
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No artist tolerates reality -- Freidrich Neitzsche

The word "republican" comes in the dictionary right after "reptile" and just before "repugnant." -- Julia Roberts

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society -- Krishnamurti

Offline DeadCat

• Deceased
  • Reputation Power: 41
  • DeadCat is now getting very popular.DeadCat is now getting very popular.DeadCat is now getting very popular.DeadCat is now getting very popular.
  • Last Login:June 07, 2017, 04:01:37 PM
  • Welcome to our community forum ...
« Reply #30 on: February 01, 2016, 08:53:09 PM »
Many emails and-boards have auto-saves to draft every 5 or 10 minutes. That way  the writer can get involved in a long piece that goes from one area to another area in an essay and then should a hiccup ofccur only the last few minutes will be lost. Having to write in a word prossessign program then translateing to a message board/BBS layout doubles the work and breaks the stream of the writer's consciousness.

It's alo possible that the two word processing platforms aren't completely compatible and what shoull be an easy cut and paste can end up cluttered with littered with gibberish.

I know this is a work in progress but spending half an hour trying to wirte a thouhtful article but only to have it evaporate ... TWICE.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2016, 09:16:48 PM by DeadCat »
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Opus

• Tech
  • SA_Chat+
  • Opus is working their way up.Opus is working their way up.Opus is working their way up.
« Reply #31 on: February 01, 2016, 09:21:17 PM »
Many emails and-boards have auto-saves to draft every 5 or 10 minutes. That way  the writer can get involved in a long piece that goes from one area to another lie an essay and then should a hiccup ofccur only the lat few minutes will be fors/ Having to write in a word processign program then translateing to a message board layout doubles the work and breaks the strwam of the writer's consciousness.

It's alo possible that the two word procewwsing platforms aren't exactly compatible and what xoul be n easy cut and paste can end up littered with littered with gibberish.

. I know this is a work in progress but spending half an hour trying to wirete a thouhtful article only t hae it evaporatete ... TWICE.

The "smart" thing to do is not rely on the board software at all, but on your own simple WP. Notepad, VI, EMacs, wtfever (I like Vi/Vim) - and use that for your edits. When you're done, then copy that shit into the buffer and over into your document space. That was the only time the endware can fuck yer shit up, is AFTER it's been edited and shit, and by then you'll already have a copy of six.

For me if it's something I care about; starting the document INSIDE the forum's processor, is BEGGING for trouble.

Also, DC - the next time you think you've lost a document, try hitting ctrl-z simultaneously. It will back up the last thing done and frequently recover errors you thought were gone and already planning the funeral for.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2016, 09:22:50 PM by Opus »
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

The word "republican" comes in the dictionary right after "reptile" and just before "repugnant." -- Julia Roberts

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society -- Krishnamurti

Offline Chip (OP)

• Server Admin
  • Administrator
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • Chip has hidden their reputation power
  • Last Login:Today at 05:53:23 PM
  • Deeply Confused Learner
  • Profession: IT Engineer
« Reply #32 on: February 01, 2016, 09:41:23 PM »
there is a Notepad app on this forum. I use it heaps and it's never let me down ... nothing too fancy but at least it's stored in the database.

I found a drafts mod and will look into installing it - that may provide another line of text saving defense.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Our Discord Server invitation link is https://discord.gg/jB2qmRrxyD

Offline Opus

• Tech
  • SA_Chat+
« Reply #33 on: February 01, 2016, 10:37:12 PM »
^^ That may be true Chipper, there's an old saying unix coders would go by back in the SCO days; they'd say
"A good parent always kills it's own children" - morbid, I know, but there's some logic in there. Point being, if the PPID to the notepad goes down, it should take the notepad down too. If yer lucky, you might get the notes back in the core dump somewhere at some point (so use flags!!).

If you depend on one parent process to handle everything, then who handles shit when an exception is thrown (and not handled well, or the shit just faults and you don't get the luxury of an exception)?

Sounds like a nice feature, but me I kinda like a toolkit I can build myself, ya know?

Just my $.02 as usual..
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Guts

• Reputation Power: 36
  • Guts is working their way up.Guts is working their way up.Guts is working their way up.
  • Last Login:April 25, 2019, 10:04:31 PM
  • Our Community Board
« Reply #34 on: February 03, 2016, 08:42:50 PM »
Do we really have like a mission with this board? I know drug boards say that and stuff but really really?
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Chip (OP)

• Server Admin
  • Administrator
« Reply #35 on: February 03, 2016, 10:07:27 PM »
Do we really have like a mission with this board? I know drug boards say that and stuff but really really?

mission ? as in what is the purpose of this board ?
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Guts

• Reputation Power: 36
  • Guts is working their way up.Guts is working their way up.Guts is working their way up.
  • Last Login:April 25, 2019, 10:04:31 PM
  • Our Community Board
« Reply #36 on: February 03, 2016, 10:27:10 PM »
mission ? as in what is the purpose of this board ?

Well yeah..  kinda like Cat was saying about warning people about this life and stuff.. are we really that deep you think?
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline puppy

• SA_Chat+
  • Reputation Power: 18
  • puppy is new on the scene.
  • Last Login:February 24, 2023, 08:56:43 PM
  • Miss you Chem...
« Reply #37 on: February 04, 2016, 12:57:57 AM »
I don't think there is a Mission Statement...but are we that deep? Most definitely...I think this board and the community here serve a great service to many people...I receive no judgement from anyone here, that doesn't happen anywhere but here...I can ask questions without my motivations being questioned...and I have seen many many times people being warned about this life...this board is a refuge and solace to many...so while there isn't a written statement...there is a Mission...
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Chip (OP)

• Server Admin
  • Administrator
« Reply #38 on: February 04, 2016, 01:29:07 AM »
the mission is to keep us healthy, out of trouble and to provide support and comfort where possible.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

dopetalk does not endorse any advertised product nor does it accept any liability for it's use or misuse

TERMS AND CONDITIONS

In no event will d&u or any person involved in creating, producing, or distributing site information be liable for any direct, indirect, incidental, punitive, special or consequential damages arising out of the use of or inability to use d&u. You agree to indemnify and hold harmless d&u, its domain founders, sponsors, maintainers, server administrators, volunteers and contributors from and against all liability, claims, damages, costs and expenses, including legal fees, that arise directly or indirectly from the use of any part of the d&u site.

TO USE THIS WEBSITE YOU MUST AGREE TO THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS ABOVE

Founded December 2014
SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal