dopetalk does not endorse any advertised product nor does it accept any liability for it's use or misuse

This website has run out of funding so feel free to contribute if you can afford it (see footer)

Author Topic: a NON-BINDING (hypothetical) Poll on Registrations  (Read 31187 times)

Offline Chip (OP)

• Server Admin
  • Administrator
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • Chip has hidden their reputation power
  • Last Login:Yesterday at 05:53:23 PM
  • Deeply Confused Learner
  • Profession: IT Engineer
Re: a NON-BINDING (hypothetical) Poll on Registrations
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2015, 08:11:15 PM »
remember, I am just exploring the various options.

I think what may work is a combination of a few options.

the founders reserve the right to control intake and will NOT make decisions based on the most popular vote.

registrations remain open until further notice - genuine, new members are all very welcome in the foreseeable future.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Our Discord Server invitation link is https://discord.gg/jB2qmRrxyD

Offline smackNcheez

• Regular
  • Reputation Power: 6
  • smackNcheez is new on the scene.
  • Last Login:August 22, 2019, 03:51:59 PM
  • Our Harm Reduction & Safe Using forum
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2016, 02:19:31 AM »
I know this thread has been quiet for a month but I wanted to throw my 2 cents in. I vote to eventually close when it starts getting around 1k.

The idea of mod approval accounts appealed to me, but that's a lot of work. Is there a means to not let a new user post freely until they have made an intro post? Some sort of controlled access that frees up once that intro is done?

Just a loose idea that bounced around in my head...
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Chip (OP)

• Server Admin
  • Administrator
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2016, 02:47:14 AM »
sNc, that's too tricky for me to implement but it is a good idea.

they get a welcome post upon registration that asks them to introduce themselves but I suppose that some people are either timid, paranoid or indifferent.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Zoops

• Filius non bonum de canis femina.
  • Deceased
  • Reputation Power: 58
  • Zoops has got loads of potential.Zoops has got loads of potential.Zoops has got loads of potential.Zoops has got loads of potential.Zoops has got loads of potential.
  • Last Login:September 29, 2017, 04:49:02 AM
  • Keeping the wolves at bay with a sharp stick.
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2016, 03:26:38 AM »
I think having a cosy, close-knit community is the main thing that's attractive to me about this place. With that in mind, I said we should close registration when it gets to around 1,000. But that number is rather arbitrary.

Really, I like the idea that @sprawlnod put out there, that people can sign up some initial thing, and then like maybe 3 weeks later, they get an e-mail (automatically generated), inviting them to join up, provided that they have been verifiably logging on to the site in the interim, say, at least twice, as a prospective member, like as "guest" (meaning they don't have to pick their username till they get accepted, but they have to log on with their e-mail and initial PW to verify it's them. They can keep going through the 3-week period as many times as it takes for them to get it right so they can join to become a full-fledged member.

After someone's a member, their account should go in some sort of dormant status, requiring them to go through the process again, if they don't post for, say 6 months. That would keep the members list limited to those who are at least marginally active in the community. If they get kicked into dormant status, they can re-up their registration with the same username and all that, unless they were in jail or ill or something, then it shouldn't be required. I took this idea from a suggestion made by @kat1lifeleft.

Growth must be limited to the capacity of the mods and admins to be able to "police the place for police," or other LE elements. That's the LAST THING WE WANT on here: cops lurking around. I mean it would be impossible to be 100% sure we were spotting them all, but sometimes an obvious one might get prevented from joining, like if his e-mail was "@northumberlandsherriff.net" something.

Also, the capacity for mods and admins to prevent stuff from being posted regarding obvious sale or solicitation of illegal stuff, inciteful or offensive material, and general douchebaggerous goings-on should be kept in mind when considering how large the members base should be allowed to get.

Bottom line is that we - at least I - want a membership that: 1. is active, 2. feels like a community (not some motley collection of dumb kids who post shit like, "how do u make oxys from 'oxi-clean' laundry soap stuff my frend said he did it"), 3. cares about harm reduction in the drug using population, 4. enriches the life experience of others who are members by adding to their social interaction opportunities, and finally 5. is free from all elements of law enforcement.

I feel that the suggestions made by the members cited above, along with the small suggestions made by myself would help to make that goal more achievable.

Thankyouthatisall.

Zoopsout.

nighty-nite, rabbit
« Last Edit: February 01, 2016, 03:30:11 AM by Zoops »
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"The future ain't what it used to be."
"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."
"You can observe a lot just by watching."
- Yogi Berra

"Drugs are so fucking good....that they'll ruin your life."
- Louis C.K.

Offline shirobug

• Regular
  • Reputation Power: 7
  • shirobug is new on the scene.
  • Last Login:June 05, 2017, 11:36:28 PM
  • Welcome to our community forum ...
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2016, 04:17:17 AM »
(I am indifferent to what the D&U forum administration decides to do with registrations, just wanted to share a perspective.)

I run a medium-sized forum.  The forum user base was largely pre-existing before I created my forum.  The user base was from a previous forum that was defunct and unmanaged and my forum was essentially a lifeboat -- not unlike these forums.  The only way to join the forum is to be invited by an existing member.

One of the important aspects of the system we use is that the invite chain from the very first user to the most recent user is preserved and displayed on each member profile.  I also make it very clear that when a member invites someone to the forum that they are essentially taking responsibility for that persons behavior.  Fortunately, there haven't been any issues where this mattered, but I think it makes people think twice about inviting people who might not be a good fit for the community.

The forum has been around several years now and has ~1100 members and ~650,000 posts.  It still feels like a close knit environment, and I don't regret the invite-only system one bit, as it's served the goal of keeping the forum more like a family and generally fairly low maintenance (though we've had our drama, no doubt.)
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Chip (OP)

• Server Admin
  • Administrator
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2016, 04:53:05 AM »
I had never thought that such a forum existed - it's a great idea but who did the programming for the invite logic ?

it sounds very interesting.

... but very hard to implement as I can't code php :(
« Last Edit: February 01, 2016, 04:56:23 AM by chipper »
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline shirobug

• Regular
  • Reputation Power: 7
  • shirobug is new on the scene.
  • Last Login:June 05, 2017, 11:36:28 PM
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2016, 05:08:13 AM »
I had never thought that such a forum existed - it's a great idea but who did the programming for the invite logic ?

it sounds very interesting.

I wrote it.

There are a few pieces.

1) A table in a database that stores invite information (id, inviter_id, invited_id, secure_token, timestamp, invited_email, invite_text, invite_status).
2) A web form where existing members enter an email address and optional message to generate an invite to someone.
3) A function in the forums to check the invite database table and modify it as appropriate.

When an existing member fills out the form, it creates a row in the database table and generates an email to the person with a link.  The link is special and contains the secure_token which is randomly generated when the invite is created.  For example a new registration link might look like: http://forum/register/abcd1234.  The abcd1234 part is the "secure token".  (It's actually much longer than 8 characters.)

The user who was invited clicks the link which contains the secure_token.  The forum checks the database to see if the secure_token is valid, and if so, lets them register.  If not, it redirects them saying the forum is invite only and they need an invitation to register.

As part of the user registration, the invited member's user entry is modified in the database associating the invited user with the person who invited them so that you always have the lineage of any user.  Once a user registers using a specific secure_token, it is marked as used in the database to prevent more than one person from using the same secure_token.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline hanna

• Reputation Power: 4
  • hanna is new on the scene.
  • Last Login:July 01, 2021, 12:48:57 PM
  • Still trying the educate the illiterate among us
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2016, 05:10:43 AM »
Never, ever limit registration or you might just end up with a small, but active community, but if there's ever a need for funds to help the site stay up your pool of available donors is pretty small.

So, with the donations you get, they might not be enough to run the site, so it goes offline for some days at a time and members get worried. See where I might be headed with this?

So, those are my thoughts.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Good lord, I can't wait to retire.

Offline Chip (OP)

• Server Admin
  • Administrator
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2016, 05:11:51 AM »
you know what makes me happy ?

knowing that we have people like you here, shirobug.

well done !
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Chip (OP)

• Server Admin
  • Administrator
« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2016, 05:12:53 AM »
Never, ever limit registration or you might just end up with a small, but active community, but if there's ever a need for funds to help the site stay up your pool of available donors is pretty small.

So, with the donations you get, they might not be enough to run the site, so it goes offline for some days at a time and members get worried. See where I might be headed with this?

So, those are my thoughts.

thank you.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline DeadCat

• Deceased
  • Reputation Power: 41
  • DeadCat is now getting very popular.DeadCat is now getting very popular.DeadCat is now getting very popular.DeadCat is now getting very popular.
  • Last Login:June 07, 2017, 04:01:37 PM
« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2016, 07:44:13 AM »
Note: a couple hours I wrote a long post arum for including as many members as possible. Then a fe minuts a go I cam be back to se if it need if it proof reading. Tom y surprise, ny long and (thought) well-reasoned) article was gone although articles that had been before and before and after it were still there. If I find ould that someone is removing y articles That will be the end of my participation here.

I will try to write it here again.

Doint aything to reduce themebership or sizcourage partiipation her isabou the worst thingadminscould do here. There are ore opiate users and polydrug users in the Western World than any other time in monern times. The core discussion of first hand drug use, recovery stories andcautionary tales from "the life" need to reach as arch an audience s possible.

They not ponly need to be read by mmbrs but need to be read by non-membrs nad shares. I is learning abpiut what opoiate users lives are really like. that they are not what they se on "after school specials"and cop show, both of with are war on drub propaganda romanticizing the drug life.

Th Opiophile had over a thousand embers abd not all of them contributed a one. They dropped in when they had some outrageous grieanceperpetrte on them by cops and the leal system, or got or lost a loved on to some trigger-happy, cor chose-hold pig.  The told us how it really is to be a drug user in the Land of the Free , the good ol USA.

The warned us so that we would avoid simimilar trouble ourselves.

If we stat triying to form oursleves into a small drug-ser's clubwith ten-thousand rules of hings wa can an can't write about we will do very, very small little group of junkies elling each stories and inside joke.We will be doing all but NOTHING to increase the stated mision of harm reduction among drug users.

The MORE embrs we have the MORE content we will publish  and yes some will be a wasto if ti but ther is SO MUCH wrong with the way wa are treated, from the cut in out dope to the insane Chinse alanlog "bath salts" that are BEAKING PEOPLE MENTALLY TO THE MASSIVE INCREASE IN MASSMURDERS BY PEOPLE BING GIVEN SSRIAs that are known to cause to bring these insanities to the pubic at large.

Eliminating member who apparently don' share enough of this stuff or relate first hand EXACTLY the wrong way of maing people , espeically those who can do things about it and ar incllined to do something abut it is FAILING in the mission of the website which is to tlak about the lifestyles of those of us who live outside the straight world.

As I said Opiophile had about a thusand meters. T any given time only a few fundred members were active. It' strue tht some faded away, dome died, some cot clean but the large number of mebmbers who happened to be on the website.showed a large interest and lots of=f users even thuuh some went moonrhs or year w/o posting.

Bottom line: the more menbers, the more web presence the site has, the more links Google pics up and the more people stumble on them. Anything  done done  to reduce the eyeballs seeing the web  pages weakens the information available.

friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Chip (OP)

• Server Admin
  • Administrator
« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2016, 07:57:40 AM »
@DeadCat - I suggest writing long posts in Notepad and then cut-n-paste it into the real post so you don't lose your work.

we will not be closing registration in the foreseeable future.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline DeadCat

• Deceased
  • Reputation Power: 41
  • DeadCat is now getting very popular.DeadCat is now getting very popular.DeadCat is now getting very popular.DeadCat is now getting very popular.
  • Last Login:June 07, 2017, 04:01:37 PM
« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2016, 08:42:32 AM »
Has anyone lese noticed that of all th eposts and newa clippings in this website the stories about drugs , srug use nd drugds in he new are all oewhelminglingly negative?

One tragedy aftEr Another is posted here , every news cut an paste is about some drug relate crime gone horribly wrong or overdose. big drug busts are a way oerereported storey wrote all the timeand the overalll tone is that we are all sufferring from our drug use when that just isn't so. Mot of us use drus beUSE tHEY RE FUN AND We enjoy temTHEM.

And mAYBE WE'D HAvE AL ITTLE MORE ENJOYABLe WEBSITE IF WE WERENT aLWYS CRYING ABOUT HOw MISWERaBLE OUR DRUgING LIVES WeRE.

i for one love frugs and practice them sfely and thye mkle my life so much more fun.

And can we Please stop cuting nd pSTING BIG FDRUG BIS STTIES THAT N TRUTH RE NPTHNG MR THN POLIC PROPAGANDA. somrhing like less thn 10% of illegal drugs get caught  anyway.

ANYONELSE?
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Sand and Water

• Sand and Water has hidden their reputation power
  • Last Login:March 16, 2016, 06:27:41 AM
« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2016, 09:45:42 AM »
Note: a couple hours I wrote a long post arum for including as many members as possible. Then a fe minuts a go I cam be back to se if it need if it proof reading. Tom y surprise, ny long and (thought) well-reasoned) article was gone although articles that had been before and before and after it were still there. If I find ould that someone is removing y articles That will be the end of my participation here.

I will try to write it here again.

Doint aything to reduce themebership or sizcourage partiipation her isabou the worst thingadminscould do here. There are ore opiate users and polydrug users in the Western World than any other time in monern times. The core discussion of first hand drug use, recovery stories andcautionary tales from "the life" need to reach as arch an audience s possible.

They not ponly need to be read by mmbrs but need to be read by non-membrs nad shares. I is learning abpiut what opoiate users lives are really like. that they are not what they se on "after school specials"and cop show, both of with are war on drub propaganda romanticizing the drug life.

Th Opiophile had over a thousand embers abd not all of them contributed a one. They dropped in when they had some outrageous grieanceperpetrte on them by cops and the leal system, or got or lost a loved on to some trigger-happy, cor chose-hold pig.  The told us how it really is to be a drug user in the Land of the Free , the good ol USA.

The warned us so that we would avoid simimilar trouble ourselves.

If we stat triying to form oursleves into a small drug-ser's clubwith ten-thousand rules of hings wa can an can't write about we will do very, very small little group of junkies elling each stories and inside joke.We will be doing all but NOTHING to increase the stated mision of harm reduction among drug users.

The MORE embrs we have the MORE content we will publish  and yes some will be a wasto if ti but ther is SO MUCH wrong with the way wa are treated, from the cut in out dope to the insane Chinse alanlog "bath salts" that are BEAKING PEOPLE MENTALLY TO THE MASSIVE INCREASE IN MASSMURDERS BY PEOPLE BING GIVEN SSRIAs that are known to cause to bring these insanities to the pubic at large.

Eliminating member who apparently don' share enough of this stuff or relate first hand EXACTLY the wrong way of maing people , espeically those who can do things about it and ar incllined to do something abut it is FAILING in the mission of the website which is to tlak about the lifestyles of those of us who live outside the straight world.

As I said Opiophile had about a thusand meters. T any given time only a few fundred members were active. It' strue tht some faded away, dome died, some cot clean but the large number of mebmbers who happened to be on the website.showed a large interest and lots of=f users even thuuh some went moonrhs or year w/o posting.

Bottom line: the more menbers, the more web presence the site has, the more links Google pics up and the more people stumble on them. Anything  done done  to reduce the eyeballs seeing the web  pages weakens the information available.

I agree w/this. As well, some folks drop out and return for multiple reasons, incarceration, family or health issues etc. Some also prefer to lurk for the most part, and just like introduction posts, I thought we were ok with folks deciding if they wanted to talk about themselves right away.

Just my personal opinion, but though we'll always get some trolls or "inactive" accounts, unless the number of those has increased significantly since Chipper posted it was around 40, registration restriction, mod approval etc isn't something I'd like to see.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Lose something every day. Accept the fluster
of lost door keys, the hour badly spent.
The art of losing isn't hard to master.
Then practice losing farther, losing faster:
places, and names, and where it was you meant
to travel. None of these will bring disaster.

Offline Jega

• My height is 3.7m to the 10th power the average radius of a hydrogen atom
  • Global Moderator
  • SA_Chat+
  • Reputation Power: 30
  • Jega is working their way up.Jega is working their way up.Jega is working their way up.
  • Last Login:June 21, 2018, 03:41:56 AM
  • Screwed if I ever wake up in Vegas
« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2016, 03:38:53 PM »
I thought about this for a minute and I generally agree with what Z said a couple months ago. But I'm going to put it a different way -- Let's do what Chipper wants!

This is one of those issues that comes down to server management. When it starts to become a problem let the guy who manages the server make the call.

Do I like the idea of a tight knit community, yes. I'd be willing to bet that's a widely shared feeling. And this site is growing faster than I would have thought a couple months ago. When it becomes a real problem Chipper is going to know it's a problem before any of us -- staff included. He sees the trends more than anyone. And maybe more to the point this is one of those things that I would trust Chipper to make the right call. So that's how I feel.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Opus

• Tech
  • SA_Chat+
  • Reputation Power: 31
  • Opus is working their way up.Opus is working their way up.Opus is working their way up.
  • Last Login:May 06, 2018, 01:21:20 AM
  • 110, 100, 90, 80, 76, 70, 64, 60, 58
« Reply #29 from previous page: February 01, 2016, 04:12:43 PM »
One of the important aspects of the system we use is that the invite chain from the very first user to the most recent user is preserved and displayed on each member profile.  I also make it very clear that when a member invites someone to the forum that they are essentially taking responsibility for that persons behavior.  Fortunately, there haven't been any issues where this mattered, but I think it makes people think twice about inviting people who might not be a good fit for the community.

The forum has been around several years now and has ~1100 members and ~650,000 posts.  It still feels like a close knit environment, and I don't regret the invite-only system one bit, as it's served the goal of keeping the forum more like a family and generally fairly low maintenance (though we've had our drama, no doubt.)

"Invite chain"?

In about 9 years here I've never heard of an invite chain.

I completely and totally disagree about the (a) documented referral system. Just cos someone knows someone else, doesn't mean it's gonna work out. And call me paranoid but one of the things cops REALLY love to do is to have an established provable chain of operations. Now me, I ain't doin' shit wrong, but if someone was mailing.. oidk, oinkjuice across the country, I gives a fuck cos IMO, there are worse crimes out there than vaping oinkjuice, capice? But some people disagree and think anyone using oinkjuice for any reason at all should burn in hell. But again, I gives a fuck, cos all this board here is for is free speech and HR tips.

So ya, I don't see a need for referrals or vetting out -- few people here today would probably recognize the names I remember as the old heads from the old board anyway; so where would it start?

Maybe I misunderstand, and after that weed I just burned down I'd have a valid excuse for not understanding 2+2, but IMO this isn't a community that's so much vouched for and vetted out like HA or some shit, we're just a bunch of internet dope heads without much to worry about, cos we ain't breaking any laws, right?; just talking. And at least in The US free speech was still legal last I checked (IDK about the UK or OZ or Canada, fuk'n barbarians the lot of 'em - NZ gets a break tho).
« Last Edit: February 01, 2016, 04:14:48 PM by Opus »
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No artist tolerates reality -- Freidrich Neitzsche

The word "republican" comes in the dictionary right after "reptile" and just before "repugnant." -- Julia Roberts

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society -- Krishnamurti

dopetalk does not endorse any advertised product nor does it accept any liability for it's use or misuse

TERMS AND CONDITIONS

In no event will d&u or any person involved in creating, producing, or distributing site information be liable for any direct, indirect, incidental, punitive, special or consequential damages arising out of the use of or inability to use d&u. You agree to indemnify and hold harmless d&u, its domain founders, sponsors, maintainers, server administrators, volunteers and contributors from and against all liability, claims, damages, costs and expenses, including legal fees, that arise directly or indirectly from the use of any part of the d&u site.

TO USE THIS WEBSITE YOU MUST AGREE TO THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS ABOVE

Founded December 2014
SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal