dopetalk does not endorse any advertised product nor does it accept any liability for it's use or misuse

This website has run out of funding so feel free to contribute if you can afford it (see footer)

Author Topic: nationl guard may be used to fight heroin in Maine  (Read 8826 times)

Offline clinton (OP)

• Reputation Power: 8
  • clinton is new on the scene.
  • Last Login:May 13, 2016, 05:09:47 AM
  • Harm Reduction & Safe Using
nationl guard may be used to fight heroin in Maine
« on: November 08, 2015, 03:36:24 AM »

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2015/11/07/maine-gov-threatens-to-call-in-national-guard-to-fight-heroin-epidemic/

PORTLAND, Maine –  Maine's governor is threatening to call up the National Guard to fight an epidemic of heroin and other drugs if lawmakers don't hire more agents.

Gov. Paul LePage made a surprise appearance in the Legislature on Thursday, telling panelists on the Appropriations Committee that there's a "dire need" for a more robust response. He first discussed a potential role for the National Guard over the summer in a radio interview but he hasn't said how personnel might be used.

"You either work with me and give me some agents, or I will call the Guard up," he said.

Lawmakers approved funding last session for six additional state drug agents, two judges and two drug prosecutors to handle major drug crimes. But LePage said that's not enough.

Maine House Speaker Mark Eves, a Democrat and an adversary of the Republican governor, said he'd be open to calling a special session "but we won't come back to have a partisan fight or waste taxpayer dollars."

Like the rest of New England, Maine is dealing with an epidemic of addiction and deaths associated with heroin, fentanyl and other opioids. Last year, a record 208 people died in Maine from drug overdoses, and 8 percent of babies born last year had mothers who used drugs, officials said.

Federal law limits how military personnel can be used to enforce domestic laws.

But John Goheen from the National Guard Association of the United States said Guard personnel can be used for law enforcement when a governor calls them into duty for the state. It's not uncommon for guard personnel to augment local and state law enforcement agencies with special equipment and capabilities, he said.

"Counter-narcotics is a fairly specific type of law enforcement. Theoretically, (National Guard personnel) could be used to backfill and provide some equipment," Goheen said Friday.

In the past, Maine Army National Guard helicopters were used as spotters seeking marijuana-growing operations. Several National Guard personnel currently assist in analyzing data in the state intelligence center. To the south, the Texas governor stationed National Guard troops on the border with Mexico.

LePage told lawmakers that the National Guard would assist the Maine Drug Enforcement Agency but didn't provide any specifics about how they would do so.

A Maine National Guard spokesman referred questions Friday to the governor's office, which had no further comment.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
In the vein...

Z

Re: nationl guard may be used to fight heroin in Maine
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2015, 04:50:58 AM »
Well, I don't even.  Maybe they will do some bombing runs on the local dealers house.  Enhanced interrogation techniques to get junkie jenny to roll on her middle man.  Storm the corner with some strykers, and grab that evil terrorist buying a bag before work.  Call in a bunker buster for the homeless kids shooting up under a bridge.

God damn, he might just be onto something.  After that kind of shock and awe nobody sane would support the war on drugs.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2015, 04:52:55 AM by Z »
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline lawyerup

• SA_Chat+
  • Reputation Power: 3
  • lawyerup is new on the scene.
  • Last Login:July 20, 2022, 07:39:05 PM
  • Welcome to our community forum ...
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2015, 05:47:21 AM »
Hey that's my guvnha'! Don't disrespect! JP flame away I hate this fukn idiot and cant believe we re elected the dumbfuck.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline thetalkingasshole

• Self-Transforming Machine Elf
  • SA_Chat+
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • thetalkingasshole has hidden their reputation power
  • Last Login:July 06, 2019, 06:22:48 AM
  • Always with an arm out and a leg up
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2015, 07:04:28 AM »
Stormtroopers on the corners?
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
As I grew up, I opened my eyes and saw the real world, and I began to laugh, and I haven't stopped since

Offline makita

• Reputation Power: 26
  • makita is now quite familiar.makita is now quite familiar.
  • Last Login:March 07, 2019, 05:50:39 PM
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2015, 07:32:40 AM »
I've now made it a habit to look up stats whenever someone is claiming an "epic increase" in overdoses.  Maine had approx 170 drug overdoses in 2002, so 208 isn't really a huge unprecedented amount, especially when you cross ref with population growth.  I'm sure it went down and went back up again (as these things do in cycles) but really, no need to freak the fuck out about it. 

friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
something something drug war, social justice blah blah

Offline DeadCat

• Deceased
  • Reputation Power: 41
  • DeadCat is now getting very popular.DeadCat is now getting very popular.DeadCat is now getting very popular.DeadCat is now getting very popular.
  • Last Login:June 07, 2017, 04:01:37 PM
  • Welcome to our community forum ...
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2015, 10:26:16 AM »
If we coulnd only keep every single person under house arrest and all they could eat are MREs and watch official" TV we would win the drug war! Daily blood tests, cold turkey in -jail detoxes for all who fail. No more legal pain meds , een in hospitals.

Zero tolerance and instant death sentence for anyone suspected fo breaking the l1aw. We find a Tylenol #3 form1998 in your medicine cabinet we take you out back and cap you in the back of the head.

Never mind that every humnan gets high as a kid by spinning around  or that most animals eat rotten fruit or hallucinogenic plants when stressed. Bringin the Marines and kill anyone and everyone who does dope,smokes a cigarette and has a beer.

« Last Edit: November 08, 2015, 06:44:16 PM by DeadCat »
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline clinton (OP)

• Reputation Power: 8
  • clinton is new on the scene.
  • Last Login:May 13, 2016, 05:09:47 AM
  • Harm Reduction & Safe Using
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2015, 10:37:59 AM »
Never ends ..this silly ass drug war and the fact that people think this is how it is supposed to be..
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions