dopetalk does not endorse any advertised product nor does it accept any liability for it's use or misuse

This website has run out of funding so feel free to contribute if you can afford it (see footer)

Author Topic: What are you reading right now?  (Read 10005 times)

Offline skramamme (OP)

• Reputation Power: 9
  • skramamme is new on the scene.
  • Last Login:May 25, 2023, 12:28:14 PM
  • Our Community Board
What are you reading right now?
« on: October 21, 2015, 08:26:50 AM »
I thought I'd start a couple of threads here, one for books and one for telly/movies.

So, what are you reading at the moment?

Any suggestions for a good read?

I'm currently reading one of the Dark Tower books by Stephen King (the snobby part of me cringes that I like his work, but he tells a damn good story).

And some of the authors that I love are;
Robin Hobb- the Liveship trilogy is amazing if you like beautifully fleshed out fantasy worlds
Sheri S Tepper (futuristic fantasy might be the way to describe it)
Frank Herbert's Dune
Terry Pratchett and Douglas Adams of course (RIP to both of them)
Stephen Hunter's Black Light is great- about a Vietnam sniper vet (there's a movie called Shooter based on one of his novels)
Martin Amis- Money is just a brilliant novel
Robert Campbell's Alice in La LA Land is a very cool gumshoe detective novel (a hard-boiled novel I think they call it)...

so many great books out there  :)

What's your favourite genre?
I tend to like sci-fi/fantasy (hard sci-fi is a little hard for me to grasp sometimes), good crime (fiction rather than non fiction) and dystopian-type stuff.
Oh, and horror.

So I'd love to hear what other people are into  :D
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Of all the things I value most in life
I see my memories and feel their warmth
And know that they are good,
You know that I should

Offline Anti-hero

• Next Level Idiot
  • SA_Chat+
  • Reputation Power: 30
  • Anti-hero is working their way up.Anti-hero is working their way up.Anti-hero is working their way up.
  • Last Login:February 10, 2019, 04:20:41 AM
  • Can't get high or you will die or you'll die
    • Head don't give a shit
Re: What are you reading right now?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2015, 02:08:22 PM »
I like history books
I just got done with
Legacy of ashes
It was about the cia
I would get up and find it
But HeAd is sleeping.
And I'm on my phone trying not to annoy her.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Scared to death
No reason why
Do one another
To get me by
Think about the things I said
Read the page it's cold and dead

Offline Chip

• Server Admin
  • Administrator
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • Chip has hidden their reputation power
  • Last Login:Today at 05:29:51 AM
  • Deeply Confused Learner
  • Profession: IT Engineer
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2015, 02:20:58 PM »
an Android magazine and this forum.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Our Discord Server invitation link is https://discord.gg/jB2qmRrxyD

Offline DeadCat

• Deceased
  • Reputation Power: 41
  • DeadCat is now getting very popular.DeadCat is now getting very popular.DeadCat is now getting very popular.DeadCat is now getting very popular.
  • Last Login:June 07, 2017, 04:01:37 PM
  • Welcome to our community forum ...
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2015, 03:20:29 PM »
Working on "Chasing the Scream"about the history of the drug war.

Favorite author is Cormac Macarthy, especially Blood Meridian but all of his stuff is beautifully written.

Recently read "Why America Failed" by Morris Berman, an excellent dissection d chronic problems of the USA by a scholar.

Regualr blogs by Chis Hedges and Dimitri Orlov.

I can't sit for 5 minutes without reading something. Once in Guadalajara I was walking down the street reading a book while walking and fell inot an covered, unmarked pit in th emidddle of the sidewalk. Just walked off the dge and had that falling feeling......ouch.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Narkotikon

• Honest
  • SA_Chat+
  • Reputation Power: 50
  • Narkotikon has got loads of potential.Narkotikon has got loads of potential.Narkotikon has got loads of potential.Narkotikon has got loads of potential.Narkotikon has got loads of potential.
  • Last Login:March 28, 2016, 11:31:11 PM
  • Keeping Them Honest
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2015, 05:23:43 PM »
I've not read any fiction in ages.  When I was in HS and college, I really liked reading the classics of English / American literature.  Jane Austen, Edith Wharton, Henry James, Edgar Allen Poe, Thoreau, Shelley, Lord Byron, the Bronte sisters, etc. 

For the past decade though, I've not read much.  If anything, I usually read non-fiction.  Primarily history, but sometimes articles on languages, culture, pharmacology, biographies, etc.  Usually articles on Wikipedia, sometimes other sites. 

As for history, I like ancient to pre-WWI.  I just can't get into 20th century history, or a lot of contemporary events.  One reason I like history is b/c it offers a glimpse into another world and time.  20th century history is too close to today.  It's also a lot of wars, and I hate learning about battles and wars, in whatever time period.  For instance, in Roman history, I always hated learning about Caesar on his campaigns in Gaul.  Totally boring IMO.  Likewise with the history of Ancient Greece and their battles with Persia.  Boring. 

I'm not into American history either.  Some aspects of the Revolutionary War are interesting, primarily from a cultural standpoint.  But after that, no thanks.  I do like Colonial American history though. 

If I had to pick my three favorite historical periods, I'd say:

Ancient Roman (late-Republican to early-Imperial)
English and French history of the High Middle Ages
19th century English history 
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Transparency is necessary to ensure decent staff members get elected. Members need to know when staff are misbehaving, so members can be informed voters.

Offline nick

• Founder
  • Founders
  • Administrator
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • nick has hidden their reputation power
  • Last Login:July 22, 2019, 05:49:59 AM
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2015, 08:23:34 PM »
Just finished "American pain" and "Dreamland"-as good a break down on the socio-political history of opiate dependence in the states over the last 10-15 years and I'm now reading Bruce Robinson's "They all love Jack".

Read "Ghettoside;investigating a homicide epidemic" recently too.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline BamaPainGurl

• I'm one of those regular weird people.
  • Reputation Power: 10
  • BamaPainGurl is new on the scene.
  • Last Login:February 04, 2019, 05:31:48 AM
  • Caught up in a vicious cycle.
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2015, 05:28:21 AM »
I'm reading two, the zamperini book that unbroken was based on and Dean Koontz newest. Well the short story before it. I have very eclectic reading tastes. When I get on my tab I will add titles, this phone sucks for posting g.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Opus

• Tech
  • SA_Chat+
  • Reputation Power: 31
  • Opus is working their way up.Opus is working their way up.Opus is working their way up.
  • Last Login:May 06, 2018, 01:21:20 AM
  • 110, 100, 90, 80, 76, 70, 64, 60, 58
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2015, 05:56:48 AM »
Have two books here: The Sociopath Next Door (Stout), and: It's Here Now (Are You?) (Bhagavan Das)

I want a Kindle.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No artist tolerates reality -- Freidrich Neitzsche

The word "republican" comes in the dictionary right after "reptile" and just before "repugnant." -- Julia Roberts

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society -- Krishnamurti

Offline BamaPainGurl

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2015, 06:57:57 AM »
Have two books here: The Sociopath Next Door (Stout), and: It's Here Now (Are You?) (Bhagavan Das)

I want a Kindle.

Loved my kindle! Now I use the Kindle app on my Samsung tab, just as good imo!
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline smalls

• smalls is new on the scene.
  • Last Login:October 08, 2018, 09:05:28 AM
  • East Coast Hermit
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2015, 06:54:54 PM »
I'm reading two, the zamperini book that unbroken was based on and Dean Koontz newest. Well the short story before it. I have very eclectic reading tastes. When I get on my tab I will add titles, this phone sucks for posting g.
Oh man, Unbroken, the book, was so good! I love me some good narrative nonfiction. Haven't seen the movie. Did you see the movie?

I thought I'd start a couple of threads here, one for books and one for telly/movies.

So, what are you reading at the moment?

Any suggestions for a good read?

I'm currently reading one of the Dark Tower books by Stephen King (the snobby part of me cringes that I like his work, but he tells a damn good story).

And some of the authors that I love are;
Robin Hobb- the Liveship trilogy is amazing if you like beautifully fleshed out fantasy worlds
Sheri S Tepper (futuristic fantasy might be the way to describe it)
Frank Herbert's Dune
Terry Pratchett and Douglas Adams of course (RIP to both of them)
Stephen Hunter's Black Light is great- about a Vietnam sniper vet (there's a movie called Shooter based on one of his novels)
Martin Amis- Money is just a brilliant novel
Robert Campbell's Alice in La LA Land is a very cool gumshoe detective novel (a hard-boiled novel I think they call it)...

so many great books out there  :)

What's your favourite genre?
I tend to like sci-fi/fantasy (hard sci-fi is a little hard for me to grasp sometimes), good crime (fiction rather than non fiction) and dystopian-type stuff.
Oh, and horror.

So I'd love to hear what other people are into  :D

Glad you started this thread. I already see some titles I want to add to my to-read list. Right now I'm reading The Biology of Desire: Why addiction is not a disease by Marc Lewis. He also wrote Memoirs of an Addicted Brain: A neuroscientist examines his former life on drugs in which he explains the neuroscience/biology of drug use through the narrative of his life. He uses the same format in Biology of Desire, but rather than write about his own experiences this time, each chapter is focused on a different drug user. I'm loving it. The logical explanations really speak to me, and he's also just a very good writer. Some of the best drug-related imagery I've read (although everyone has their own opinions about that stuff).

skramamme, if you like sci-fi I want to recommend a few podcasts (maybe a podcast thread should be started?) because I'm podcast obsessed right now: Meanwhile In The Future and Limetown.

With Meanwhile In The Future they do a small intro skit imagining what some form of the future will be like, for example some of the episodes are "A world with artificial wombs," "A second moon for earth," and "What if we banned all weapons?" and then they interview experts to get their opinion on the subject. Their experts are usually scientists and science fiction authors. The episodes are only about 20 mins and are well produced.

Limetown is only three episodes along but so far seems promising. It's also well produced and episodes are around 30 mins. People are saying it's like Serial meets Welcome to Nightvale but that's probably just bc there aren't many podcasts available for comparison. From their website: Limetown follows journalist Lia Haddock as she investigates the infamous disappearance of a doomed research facility. Give it a listen - I'd love to know what you think.

Ooh ooh, another one I just thought of is Criminal. This one's not sci-fi, it's true crime. Also 20 min-ish episodes covering topics from extortion to counterfeit money to murder. Each episode tells a specific (true) story or interviews a specific person. Some of my favorites are "The buck stops here," "Mothers little helper," and "I'm about to save your life."

Okay okay I'll stop now.  :)
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline BamaPainGurl

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2015, 01:57:21 AM »
Smalls,
  No, haven't seen the movie yet, I am much more into reading than the movies. For instance,I've read the entire Lee Child series but was so bummed when they made Tom cruise Reacher in the movie. Reacher is 6ft6in. Cruise is what 5'4"? Anyways I like creating my own visuals and movies rarely compare.

The movie is on demand right now so I may try it out this weekend and if I do I'll let you know  ;).
  ~lissa 
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline smalls

• smalls is new on the scene.
  • Last Login:October 08, 2018, 09:05:28 AM
  • East Coast Hermit
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2015, 04:14:23 AM »
Smalls,
  No, haven't seen the movie yet, I am much more into reading than the movies. For instance,I've read the entire Lee Child series but was so bummed when they made Tom cruise Reacher in the movie. Reacher is 6ft6in. Cruise is what 5'4"? Anyways I like creating my own visuals and movies rarely compare.

The movie is on demand right now so I may try it out this weekend and if I do I'll let you know  ;).
  ~lissa

I'm the same way. Movies rarely ever live up to what I've created in my mind from reading the story.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline skramamme (OP)

• skramamme is new on the scene.
  • Last Login:May 25, 2023, 12:28:14 PM
  • Our Community Board
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2015, 07:49:07 AM »
Glad you started this thread. I already see some titles I want to add to my to-read list. Right now I'm reading The Biology of Desire: Why addiction is not a disease by Marc Lewis. He also wrote Memoirs of an Addicted Brain: A neuroscientist examines his former life on drugs in which he explains the neuroscience/biology of drug use through the narrative of his life. He uses the same format in Biology of Desire, but rather than write about his own experiences this time, each chapter is focused on a different drug user. I'm loving it. The logical explanations really speak to me, and he's also just a very good writer. Some of the best drug-related imagery I've read (although everyone has their own opinions about that stuff).

skramamme, if you like sci-fi I want to recommend a few podcasts (maybe a podcast thread should be started?) because I'm podcast obsessed right now: Meanwhile In The Future and Limetown.

With Meanwhile In The Future they do a small intro skit imagining what some form of the future will be like, for example some of the episodes are "A world with artificial wombs," "A second moon for earth," and "What if we banned all weapons?" and then they interview experts to get their opinion on the subject. Their experts are usually scientists and science fiction authors. The episodes are only about 20 mins and are well produced.

Limetown is only three episodes along but so far seems promising. It's also well produced and episodes are around 30 mins. People are saying it's like Serial meets Welcome to Nightvale but that's probably just bc there aren't many podcasts available for comparison. From their website: Limetown follows journalist Lia Haddock as she investigates the infamous disappearance of a doomed research facility. Give it a listen - I'd love to know what you think.

Ooh ooh, another one I just thought of is Criminal. This one's not sci-fi, it's true crime. Also 20 min-ish episodes covering topics from extortion to counterfeit money to murder. Each episode tells a specific (true) story or interviews a specific person. Some of my favorites are "The buck stops here," "Mothers little helper," and "I'm about to save your life."

Okay okay I'll stop now.  :)

I've heard a little about Marc Lewis, isn't he the one who talks about the physical changes to the brain of long term addicts being irrelevant because of brain plasticity? I am always a bit wary of the disease/not a disease conflict because generally speaking the "it's not a disease" camp tend to reduce addiction down to it just being a lack of ~willpower~ on the part of the addict, which is both unhelpful, untrue and plays into the morality aspects of shaming and persecuting addicts.

I'm not sure what stance Mr Lewis takes wrt the complex nature of addiction, but I am always leery of ex addicts going on about their addiction and how if they can beat it then anyone should be able to.

What is your impression of his attitude towards addiction/addicts?

"Meanwhile, in the Future" sounds very cool- I really should try getting into podcasts but I have a hard time sitting still listening to things (as much as I love music)- it's like I need a visual connection too (that's why I have never even tried listening to an audio book, IDGI if you can read, why would you listen instead?).

I did listen to an episode or two of Welcome to Nightvale but, again, I kinda needed visuals to make the connection, although the story telling was excellent- even just watching the person speak is enough to keep me engaged but words simply coming out of my speakers with nothing else...IDK, I just struggle with it holding my attention.
Which is a shame because I'm obviously missing out on some interesting stuff.

Thanks for the suggestions, I think I will have to give podcasts a second chance :)

friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Of all the things I value most in life
I see my memories and feel their warmth
And know that they are good,
You know that I should

Offline Dhedmo

• SA_Chat+
  • Reputation Power: 35
  • Dhedmo is working their way up.Dhedmo is working their way up.Dhedmo is working their way up.
  • Last Login:February 07, 2019, 02:55:15 PM
  • Be the flame, not the moth --Giacomo Casanova
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2015, 07:58:54 AM »
Just finished James Brown's The L.A. Diaries and am reading Burroughs' The Western Lands, both site-appropriate, coincidentally enough.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Badly Drawn Girl

• SA_Chat+
  • Reputation Power: 2
  • Badly Drawn Girl is new on the scene.
  • Last Login:February 13, 2018, 07:24:00 PM
  • Our Community Board
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2015, 12:40:54 PM »

I'm an odd duck, I read multiple books at the same time.  Well, not really at the same time but you get what what I'm saying.  I WISH I was able to literally read more than one at a time.  Reading is just about my only hobby outside of video games.  I read about 150 books a year.  I love non fiction best but I do read a fair bit of novels.  Currently reading: Theodore Rex by Edmund Morris (part two of his incredible biography on Roosevelt), Up in the Air by Walter Kirn, Darkness Visible (a memoir of madness) by William Styron, A Paradise Built in Hell by Rebecca Solnit (fascinating exploration on altruism in humans stemming directly from catastrophes.) After Dark by Haruki Murakami, The Round House by Louise Erdrich and The Cliff Walk, a job lost and a life found by Don J Snyder.  That's this weeks fare.  And honestly, I have probably ten more books scattered around in various places that I'm also reading.  I could get stuck anywhere and will have a book nearby.  Thank God for thrift stores, I'd never be able to afford my habit.

(And don't go recommending a Kindle to me. I'll politely bite your head off.  If I can't hold the book, turn and smell the pages, I'm not reading it.)  :)
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Rock bottom became the solid foundation on which I rebuilt my life.

J.K. Rowling

Tags: