dopetalk does not endorse any advertised product nor does it accept any liability for it's use or misuse

This website has run out of funding so feel free to contribute if you can afford it (see footer)

Author Topic: Accidental IV stick  (Read 13151 times)

Offline kat1lifeleft (OP)

• Reputation Power: 6
  • kat1lifeleft is new on the scene.
  • Last Login:September 09, 2016, 12:49:46 AM
  • Welcome to our community forum ...
Re: Accidental IV stick
« Reply #14 from previous page: November 17, 2015, 11:04:40 PM »
So far I'm good. Hospital basically found nothing but I still have to be tested again in about 4-6 months just to be totally sure. I'm definitely gonna make sure bc I've always been so careful about this kind of thing. This is the first scare I've had with 20+ years of iv use. Got my fingers and toes crossed. But I will definitely take advantage of the healthcare system if things don't work out for me. Thanks for caring guys. It helps to know that someone out there is thinking about me sometimes. Peace, Kat
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Chip

• Server Admin
  • Administrator
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • Chip has hidden their reputation power
  • Last Login:Today at 05:29:51 AM
  • Deeply Confused Learner
  • Profession: IT Engineer
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2015, 11:33:32 PM »
So far I'm good. Hospital basically found nothing but I still have to be tested again in about 4-6 months just to be totally sure. I'm definitely gonna make sure bc I've always been so careful about this kind of thing. This is the first scare I've had with 20+ years of iv use. Got my fingers and toes crossed. But I will definitely take advantage of the healthcare system if things don't work out for me. Thanks for caring guys. It helps to know that someone out there is thinking about me sometimes. Peace, Kat

good for you. may it be all clear for you as it was for me.

HIV is a fickle virus and dies quickly but HCV, that's the survivor. just so you know.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Our Discord Server invitation link is https://discord.gg/jB2qmRrxyD

Offline kat1lifeleft (OP)

• Reputation Power: 6
  • kat1lifeleft is new on the scene.
  • Last Login:September 09, 2016, 12:49:46 AM
  • Welcome to our community forum ...
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2015, 11:46:26 PM »
Yeh, I'm 99% sure that hiv isn't an issue. But it's best to be 100%...the hcv is really what I'm worried about bc I know he has it and I know it's super contagious. Can't remember if I mentioned it but I'm not worried about hiv bc he is much older and has been in a monogamous/loving marriage for many years. Regardless, I'll find out about both in several months. Thanks guys, kat
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline makita

• Reputation Power: 26
  • makita is now quite familiar.makita is now quite familiar.
  • Last Login:March 07, 2019, 05:50:39 PM
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2015, 05:37:40 AM »
I had an accidental IV stick when I was about 23, and the other person was HCV+.  A bunch of us were using at my house and we kept all the brand new needles in the kitchen, well he used one and then for some reason decided to put both the front and the back cap back on (who does that?!) and then leave it on the countertop.  I picked it up thinking it was new and stuck it in my arm to inject...and at the last second it occurred to me that maybe there was something wrong.  So I pulled it out and asked him about it and it turned out to be his used point.  I was so pissed. 

But I tested clean, thank fuck.  I might not have had I gone through with the whole shot. 

More recently (last 2 years) I had an accidental needle stick at my acupuncturist's office when I stepped on someone else's needle that had fallen out and landed on the floor.  Grrr.  They said the chances of infection from anything are low with acu needles since they are so thin, are not hollow, and aren't placed below the first layer of epidermis.  But I was still somewhat freaked about it until they contacted the person who was in that chair before me and confirmed their HIV and HCV neg status...and then when I tested neg.  I'm much more careful now in community acupuncture places, even in licensed, accredited places its so easy for those needles to fall out and I don't know if the providers keep count of how many are in each person so they know if one goes missing. 
« Last Edit: November 18, 2015, 05:42:15 AM by makita »
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions