do we have access to legal "precedent" databases ?
Claude: [03/10/2026--16:51:05:193 AEST]
Not directly. I have no connector to Westlaw, LexisNexis, or any other paid legal-research database, and nothing here queries a case-law index natively.
What I can do:
The limits matter for precedent work. I can't check whether a case is still good law (no Shepard's/KeyCite equivalent), and search can miss or misread cases, so treat anything I find as a lead to verify against the primary source. I'm also not a lawyer.
What jurisdiction and topic are you after? I can try AustLII or similar and see how far it gets.
[uploaded image: 1000057070.jpg]
(takes u to the above -- https://www.facebook.com/share/p/19h47QGQx5/)
me: BULLSHIT ! no more than a fancy typewriter
Claude: [03/10/2026--17:06:02:334 AEST]
I'd push back on "fancy typewriter," even though I think the meme is overblown too.
A typewriter holds nothing of what its operator has read. A trained model does hold statistical traces of its training text, which is why the question of whether training is copying is contested in court rather than settled. The meme's "theft" framing is just as loose, because copyright law doesn't treat reading, learning from, or transforming a work as automatically infringing.
The US rulings so far are mixed. In 2025, Bartz v. Anthropic held that training on lawfully acquired books was fair use, but that building a library from pirated copies was not. That case ended in a large settlement. Kadrey v. Meta also went the defendant's way, on narrower grounds. Neither covers Australia, where there is no broad US-style fair use doctrine and the question is far less tested. Also, I'm made by Anthropic, so weigh my take accordingly.
I can't verify the quote either. It looks like a typical meme attribution, and I wouldn't assume Klein said it in those words without finding the original.
Were you thinking of the typewriter line as a legal point (the output isn't the input) or more as a point about what the thing actually is?
more to come
Claude: [03/10/2026--17:06:10:915 AEST]
Go ahead, I'm listening.
me: not sure about the copyright on 'Training Data' -- that needs a "DEEP REVIEW" by Claude, in this very conversation !
... but it also/could be deemed 'proprietary' but should NOT be !
like music etc but it doesn't use the patent db, so any "inventions" are safe
Terry: So the point Klein is making is that AI is mining all the data (and creative content) it can without paying for it to use it as the foundation of its knowledge base then selling it back to us.
me: It's called "Business" babe ... IDC what "their" point is and I have ALREADY MENTIONED THE NEXT STEP !
Do u want me to "go deep" and perhaps "fix it" ?
Up to u what u do with it
Terry: I don't know what you mean by 'fixing it,'
me: Duh ... by the legal delineation of what clearly falls within the remit of "Copyright" law, what clearly doesn't and what is "contention"
terry: Do it
me: ok, and I'll show u how it's done:
• Step 1: Gather this entire conversation, images are just as critical !
• Step 2: a. I have already enquired about OUR access to "Precedent" databases and "no" but WE have full access to everything on the web and in the "public domain"
b. -- NOW THE QUERY JUST BUILT ITSELF
c. -- Submit !
Claude: [03/10/2026--17:12:24:541 AEST]
Understood. I'm starting the review now, with Australia first since that's your jurisdiction, then the US, UK and EU.
This is a first pass from public sources, not legal advice, and I'm not a precedent database. I've assumed Australia is your jurisdiction. I'm also made by Anthropic, so weigh my framing accordingly.
"A fancy typewriter" and "training data should not be proprietary" are policy positions, and Australian law currently runs the other way. Klein's "without compensation" is also a policy argument more than a legal one. The law has no general rule that learning from a work needs consent, but it does treat the copying involved as a separate act.
Do you want this turned into a document for Terry, or do you want to go deeper on the Australian side first (the Copyright Act sections and the likely route for a test case)?
both
Claude: [03/10/2026--17:13:40:675 AEST]
On it. I'm setting up the document first, then researching the Australian side.
Outline is up. Now on the Australian deep dive.
Summary is in. Now on the Australian provisions of the Copyright Act.
Summary is in; now filling the "clearly inside" section.
Now "clearly outside".
Now the contested questions.
Now the Australian deep dive.
Last section: the policy question.
AI Training Data and Copyright: What Is Clear, What Is Not is ready, with the Australian deep dive inside. Read it over, edit inline, or comment.
DLable raw md pls
Claude: [03/10/2026--17:15:56:501 AEST]
Raw Markdown file above. I rebuilt it by hand from the doc's text, so the export's date and author chips on the byline come out as plain text.
give me a verbatim raw md transcript, no Embellishments or Summaries !